Nina-Isabell Ballwanz is a Senior Associate in the Dispute Resolution/Corporate Crime and Investigations practice group at Herbert Smith Freehills (Frankfurt).
Nina-Isabell represents damaged companies and insolvency administrators in connection with cases of corruption, embezzlement, fraud and directors' liability. This includes the extrajudicial and judicial enforcement of claims for damages, contest claims of the insolvency administrator, providing support for investigations by the public prosecutor's office and internal investigations as well as the enforcement of insurance contract claims.
Nina-Isabell studied law at Goethe University Frankfurt, where her majors included insurance contract law, and was admitted to the German bar in 2014.
During her studies and her traineeship Nina-Isabell gained practical experience in the field of insurance contract and liability law at a law firm specialising in civil law, in which time she handled anti-fraud mandates in particular. Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Nina-Isabell worked as a lawyer for a major international law firm and one of the leading German law firms specialising in compliance and internal investigations.
Experience & expertise
- representing an international automobile manufacturer in connection with the enforcement of claims for systematic criminal offences committed by employees, suppliers and sub-suppliers
- representing an automobile manufacturer in connection with insolvency contesting claims
- representing an injured investment bank in the enforcement of claims for fraud offences
- extrajudicial and judicial representation for an insolvency administrator in connection with a case of criminal bankruptcy, and in particular the judicial assertion of claims for damages against several management board and executive board members of a German stock corporation, enforcement, advising on legal matters concerning D&O insurance cover
- representing an insolvency administrator in connection with investment fraud against a former de facto managing director of several investment companies and other parties, providing support for multiple attachment and recovery procedures
- advising an injured company on claims arising from a fidelity bond following corruption and embezzlement by various employees
- providing support for a German packaging company in summary proceedings against the managing director of a subsidiary due to breaches of contractual duties
- compliance risk analysis for a transmission system operator; preventive compliance advice
- advising a German Bank regarding AML riscs in connection with the "Panama Papers"-affaire