Nicolás is a partner in the corporate, private capital and tax practises with more than 30 years of experience.
He advises clients in domestic and cross-border transactions related to corporate matters, particularly mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and private equity. He also has extensive experience in restructuring and bankruptcy transactions. He has been a member of the firm's Global Board from July 2014 to April 2020. His main clients include Telefónica, Oaktree Capital Management, Antin Infrastructure Partners, Fortress Investment group, Magnum Industrial Partners and PAI Partners, among others.
His expertise is highlighted in Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 for corporate, private equity and tax since 2011.
- Interviewees remark that "he's very imaginative and able to propose structures that make operations work.", Chambers Global & Europe 2022 – Spain (Corporate/M&A)
- ‘Very good team, complete (they cover many areas) with a very decisive approach (they take care of what the client is concerned about and solve it). They have a greater resolution focus than other firms.’, EMEA Legal 500 2021 – Spain (Corporate/M&A)
Shortlisted in the category of "Best lawyer" in Expansión Awards for legal excellence 2019.
He has a law degree and a diploma in Business administration (E-1) by Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE) (Spain). He speaks Spanish and English. He is a member of the Ilustre Colegio de la Abogacía de Madrid (ICAM – Madrid Bar Association). Nicolás has lectured on private equity at the business school IE Instituto de Empresa in Madrid and he has published articles in specialized magazines on different corporate matters.
Experience & expertise
- Abengoa on the restructuring of its financial indebtness and the financial indebtedness of other companies of the group. This restructuring is one of the most important restructuring transaction in the Spanish market in terms of value and complexity as it includes a broad variety of instruments and creditors. In the case that company files for insolvency, it would be the biggest insolvency process in Spain ever
- PAI Partners on the €430 million acquisition of a majority stake in Angulas Aguinaga, owner of La Gula del Norte, Krissia and Aguinamar, from Portobello, and the restructuring of its debt
- Cristian Lay on the acquisition financing of the industrial conglomerate Gallardo Balboa, in pre-litigation proceedings since June, from the investment fund KKR & Co. and the restructuring of its financial indebtedness
- Magnum Industrial Partners on
- the disposal of 100% of Grupo ITASA to Neenah as well as on the refinancing of the existing debt of the Group with some commercial domestic banks;
- the acquisition of a majority stake in Grupo Fernando Corral Salamanca, a Spanish manufacturer of meat-based products, to boost its growth and turn the company into a sustainability reference in Europe;
- the acquisition of a majority stake in Marnys, a Spanish company specialised in the production and marketing of food supplements, natural cosmetics, specialized sports nutrition, essential oils and healthy eating;
- the acquisition of a stake in SunMedia, one of the largest AdTech companies in Spain;
- the acquisition of 70% of Internetsia (ISDI - Instituto Superior para el Desarrollo de Internet) to jointly develop a new educational group, Digital Talent Group;
- the acquisition, through Internetsia, of 100% of the share capital of ESERP Business & Law School and its Foundation, with centres in Barcelona, Mallorca and Madrid, from its current shareholders;
- the acquisition of a majority stake in ISDE, a legal and finance educational institution that will also be integrated within Digital Talent Group;
- the acquisition of Centro Médico Teknon, a leading hospital in the Spanish private healthcare sector;
- the acquisition of a majority stake in ITASA, a leading international group in the releaser liners industrial sector;
- the acquisition of a majority stake in ITA Clinic BCN, a leading company in the Spanish healthcare sector, located in Barcelona, Spain;
- the acquisition of Iberchem, a group of companies involved in the production of fragrances and flavours;
- the intended acquisition of a 50% shareholding in Seda Coffee, a subsidiary of the group led by Seda Solubles;
- the sale of 100% of Geriatros Group to PAI Partners;
- the acquisition of Orliman Group, a company engaged in the production and sale of orthopaedic products;
- the acquisition of Indiba, a company specialised in the design, manufacture and distribution of products and devices for use by medical, physiotherapy and beauty specialists, through a competitive auction process and
- the acquisition of CMVC Group, a group of companies dedicated to the provision and intermediation in the provision of health and medical care services and the operation of hospitals and medical care clinics
- Telefónica on the intended €13,5 billion sale of O2 to Hutchinson Whampoa