Nick heads our TMT, Digital & Sourcing practice in the UK and is Global Co-Head of our Technology Sector Group
Nick specialises in advising private and public sector clients on UK and multi-jurisdictional technology procurement, digital and business transformation, outsourcing, IT service provision, major systems implementation, communications, software development, licensing, cloud, e-commerce, cyber security, data protection, data commercialisation and complex commercial projects. Nick advises extensively on the use and adoption of technologies such as blockchain/DLT, AI, machine learning and automation. His expertise extends across multiple industry sectors.
Nick is a regular speaker at conferences on new technology, sourcing, data and TMT issues in the digital age and is often cited in the legal and national press on the latest trends and issues facing the sector. Nick is a member of the Professional Board for the Computer Law and Security Review.
Nick is ranked in Band 1 of the Chambers legal directory for Outsourcing and as a Key Individual for IT/communications and complex commercial projects work in the Legal 500 and Chambers directories. Described by clients as "tremendously talented" and "[having] excellent technical ability" and "a telepathic knowledge of what was needed and what our business was all about."
Recent outsourcing, IT and business transformation projects have won him and his team "Top Performer in Strategic Sourcing" and "Financial Services Outsourcing Project of the Year“ awards at the Global Sourcing Association Awards 2018 and 2017 respectively. The team also won Standout category for "Innovation in strategic collaborations for clients" by the FT Innovative Lawyers 2016
Experience & expertise
- Ministry of Defence ("MOD") in relation to a multi-billion pound transformation of MOD's current IT systems and supplier ecosystem across the armed forces, including advising on strategy and re-procurement of all existing IT services, redesigning and restructuring its IT sourcing arrangements and ensuring that MOD is able to benefit from advances in technology. Described as one of biggest IT projects in the world.
- a major UK retail bank on its arrangements with a fintech for the development of a cloud based core-banking platform based on blockchain technology to transform its retail and business banking platform
- Google on its technical infrastructure arrangements including network acquisition, capacity and data centres as well as product launches, to support its growth and expansion across EMEA
- Banco Sabadell and TSB on TSB's exit from £2 billion long term outsourcing contract with Lloyds' and on the subsequent £450 million deal to design and build and migrate TSB to a new digital IT platform to enable TSB to operate as a digitally enabled challenger bank in the UK market (one of the largest and most complex IT projects in Europe)
- ClearBank on its establishment as the UK's fifth clearing bank and the first new clearing bank in over 250 years, transforming the digital clearing bank market with a modern, purpose built and cloud-based digital banking platform. It is the only known bank to design and build its entire digital banking platform from scratch
- Transport for London on its £660 million procurement and outsourcing of the operation of its ticketing and revenue collection systems and services across TfL's travel network, including the next generation of technology for contactless payment systems for the 9 million journeys made on London's transport network each day