For more than twenty years Nicholas has counselled manufacturers of consumer, pharmaceutical and industrial products in litigation and regulatory matters worldwide.
Nick's practice includes development of expert witnesses, synthesis of scientific literature and cogent presentation of technical evidence in contentious and regulatory proceedings. He specializes in both defense of complex product liability actions and engagement with governmental entities on a variety of public health, environmental and trade issues.
Nick has acted as coordinating counsel for domestic and international matters in a wide variety of jurisdictions such as the US, UK, Canada, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, the Netherlands, Finland, Denmark and the EU.
Representative clients have included tobacco product manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, dietary supplement formulators, food and beverage companies and building product suppliers.
Nicholas obtained his J.D. in 1993 from New York University School of Law and earned his B.A. from Columbia University in 1990. Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, he was an associate at Chadbourne & Parke LLP and Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
Experience & expertise
- participating in the successful defense of smoking and health cases on behalf of British American Tobacco Group companies in Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Australia, Italy, Finland and Denmark
- counselling companies on regulatory and litigation-avoidance issues involving potential product liability and environmental liability risks in the tobacco, alcohol and food and beverage sectors
- counselling domestic and foreign pharmaceutical manufacturers in multi-jurisdiction product liability cases
- representing manufacturers of building and industrial products in product liability cases in US state and federal courts
- representing major international tire manufacturer in automotive product liability cases in US state and federal courts