Mona is a trade mark specialist focusing on all aspects of trade marks practice. This includes global trade mark portfolio management and brand protection strategies, providing global rebranding and brand clearance advice, and trade mark filing and prosecution in Australia and New Zealand and internationally via the Madrid System and foreign agents.
In an adversarial context, Mona's experience includes the enforcement of trade mark rights including on grounds of registered trade mark infringement, consumer law and passing off, drafting and negotiating consents and coexistence agreements, and preparing evidence and submissions for trade mark oppositions and advising on opposition strategy.
Mona’s recent experience includes:
- Qantas, Australia’s largest domestic and international airline, on the management of 1,100 trade marks across 60 countries;
- Associated British Foods plc’s two subsidiaries, George Weston Foods Group and AB Mauri Group, on the management of 2,500+ trade marks across 130 countries;
- Lendlease and Transport for New South Wales in the management of their trade mark portfolios;
- GenesisCare and Tattarang/Minderoo on major international re-brands;
- Major Australian fashion label Zimmermann and healthcare technology company Eucalyptus in the expansion of their brands overseas;
- Various clients, including the Seven Network and a market-leading Australian food and beverage company Cantarella, on preparing evidence in opposition and non-use removal proceedings before the Australian and New Zealand trade mark offices.
Mona holds a Juris Doctor and Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology) from the University of Melbourne. She joined Herbert Smith Freehills in 2020 and is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Victoria, the Federal Court of Australia and the High Court of Australia.