Mitchell has experience in a diverse range of matters including M&A transactions, joint ventures, commodity sale agreements, royalty agreements, project development, rail access regimes and port agreements.
Based in Melbourne but working across Herbert Smith Freehills’ Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne offices, Mitchell has been exposed to numerous energy, resources and infrastructure transactions. He has gathered a broad range of experience, placing him in good stead to effectively and efficiently address his clients’ needs.
- Acting for BBI Group Pty Ltd in relation to the farm-in and joint venture arrangements with Flinders Mines Limited in respect of Flinders’ Pilbara Iron Ore Project, which is anticipated to be the foundation for unlocking BBI Group’s flagship Balla Balla Iron Ore Export Project in Western Australia.
- Acted for Origin Energy in respect of the A$1.15b sale of their upstream oil and gas business Lattice Energy to Beach Energy, including responsibility for the preparation and negotiation of Origin’s long term gas supply contracts with Lattice Energy.
- Advised Wesfarmers Limited in relation to the divestment of its coal assets, including the $700 million sale of the Curragh coal mine and $860 million sale of the Bengalla coal mine, including due diligence, transaction document preparation and completion process.
- Advised BHP in respect of all facets of their South Flank project, including the preparation and negotiation of construction, procurement and logistics solutions contracts.
- Advising BHP in respect of all aspects of their east coast port and rail arrangements.