Mila Banovic is a dispute resolution practitioner with a practice focused on the resolution of construction and infrastructure disputes. She has acted for principals and leading contractors in various dispute resolution processes, including adjudications, mediations, arbitrations and court matters. Mila has significant experience advising on delay and disruption claims, as well as extensions of time, claims of defective work and liquidated damages.
Mila’s recent experience includes advising:
- a principal in disputes arising from the design and construction of a Perth hospital in Supreme Court of Western Australia proceedings involving extensions of time, delay and defect counterclaims;
- a contractor in disputes arising from a Western Australian renewables project in adjudications and pre-action discovery proceedings in the Supreme Court of Western Australia;
- a joint venture entity in relation to force majeure and COVID-19 claims for extensions of time and costs in connection with an onshore WA LNG project;
- a contractor in disputes arising from an Western Australian LNG project in Supreme Court of Western Australia proceedings involving breach of contract, delay and disruption and misleading or deceptive conduct;
- a contractor in a dispute arising from a Western Australian LNG project in ICC arbitration proceedings involving breach of contract and misleading or deceptive conduct;
- an international contractor in a dispute arising from a Northern Territory LNG project in ICC arbitration proceedings involving complex contractual interpretation issues, warranties and defect counterclaims.
Mila holds a Bachelor of Laws from Curtin University.
Mila has been admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Western Australia, the Federal Court of Australia and the High Court of Australia. Since her admission in December 2017, Mila has practiced almost exclusively in construction and infrastructure disputes.
Mila is a member of the Law Society of Western Australia, the Society of Construction Law Australia and Lighthouse Club Australia. Mila is also a member of the firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee.