Mike is a corporate lawyer specialising in M&A and ECM transactions. He works with listed companies and investment banks on corporate finance transactions across a range of sectors, including financial services, industrials, energy and natural resources, telecommunications and real estate.
He advises clients on ECM transactions including IPOs and secondary fundraisings, public takeovers and private M&A transactions. He also regularly assists listed companies with corporate governance issues.
Mike is listed as a leading lawyer in the IFLR 1000, Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners (2018). Clients say "He is technically strong, commercial and practical in his advice. Most importantly, he's a pleasure to work with".
Mike's experience includes advising:
- The Weir Group on its $1.3bn acquisition of ESCO Corporation and associated £363 million placing
- Barclays and Deutsche Bank on the €27 billion proposed merger of London Stock Exchange and Deutsche Börse, and the London listing of the new group holding company
- Man Group on its US$232 million acquisition of Aalto Invest
- Morgan Stanley, HSBC and J.P. Morgan on Phoenix Group's £735 million rights issue and £935 acquisition of Abbey Life
- Polyus Gold International on its $9 billion takeover by Sacturino Limited
- AO World on its £1.2 billion IPO
- TSB Banking Group on its £1.7 billion takeover by Banco de Sabadell
- Citigroup and Lazard on GlaxoSmithKline and Novartis’ $23 billion asset swap and formation of a new consumer healthcare joint venture
Mike has a Bachelor of Laws degree in Law from Nottingham University and joined Herbert Smith after law school. He became a partner in the firm in 2013. Mike has spent time on secondment at BP and Citi and in the Amsterdam office of a leading Benelux law firm.