As a senior associate in the Madrid office, Miguel advises on a wide range of legal matters related to the energy and infrastructures businesses, including M&A, project development, public tenders, commercial agreements, shipping and international arbitration.
Miguel is a member of the Latin America and Africa Groups and is used to acting for both industrial clients and investment funds, foreign and Spanish, in multijurisdictional and complex projects and transactions.
Miguel's expertise has a particular focus on oil&gas matters, ranging from drafting and negotiating service contracts and joint operating agreements for upstream activities and long term supply arrangements to advising clients in mergers and acquisitions and providing regulatory advice.
In addition to his previous in-house experience in the energy sector, during 2015, Miguel was seconded to a multinational client acting in the oil business.
Miguel's experience includes:
- an oil & gas company on the potential acquisition of a public company traded in TSX, NYSE and BVC with oil & gas assets in Colombia, Peru, Ecuador and Brazil
- a trading house in relation to the intended acquisition of a majority stake in a company owner of an LNG regasification terminal in Spain
- Unión Fenosa Gas on the purchase of natural gas produced from the gas fields in Israel and the construction of a subsea pipeline from Israel to the regasification plant in Damietta (Egypt)
- Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. (KKR) on its €417 million acquisition of a one-third stake in Acciona Energía International, a Spanish company which will focus on operating the renewables assets (wind and solar) of Acciona Group in Spain (with assets in Chile, Costa Rica and Mexico, among other Latin America countries)
- a confidential client on its joint venture agreements and other agreements with Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. in relation to a multibillion dollar project in Occidental area of Venezuela
- a number of players in the gas supply business in Spain on regular advise in relation to corporate and regulatory matters and negotiation of agreements for natural gas and LNG sales and purchases
Miguel has a Law Degree and a Business Administration Degree from the Universidad Complutense de Madrid and post graduate studies in International Maritime Law from Instituto Marítimo Español.
Prior to joining HSF, Miguel worked for a leading Spanish law firm and has also in-house experience working for a multinational Spanish company in the energy business.
Miguel speaks Spanish, English and Portuguese.