Miguel Ángel specializes in public law (administrative procedures, subsidies, public assets, authorizations, expropriations, sanctions, etc.), public procurement, urban planning, public domain (highways, ports, water, coasts and mines) and environmental issues.
Specifically, he has broad but specialised experience in areas related to Regulated Sectors (i.e. energy, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, mining and the environment) and Infrastructures (i.e. concessions).
He advises and provides oversight on regulatory and contractual issues, project development, public tenders, M&A transactions, as well as associated litigation and arbitration matters at both national and international level.
Miguel Ángel has a wide range of experience advising major corporations, global investment banks, equity sponsors and public entities in domestic and cross border transactions in his areas of expertise. This includes acting as a trial lawyer in the administrative courts at every level.
He shares his knowledge as a lecturer in several specialized programmes and masters courses, mostly in energy related areas.
Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Miguel Ángel worked for another international law firm as a Senior Associate in the specialized fields of public law, energy and infrastructure practices.
Miguel Ángel’s experience includes advising the following:
- The transmission agent and operator of the Spanish electricity system (Red Eléctrica de España) in regulating and executing electricity auctions to ensure the balance between supply and demand of energy in the electricity system
- a major manufacturing food Company in the sale and negotiation of its power cogeneration plant to an energy company, and in the drafting of the ancillary contract for the supply of energy and steam to its manufacturing facilities
- Telefónica in the design and creation of an electrical energy trading company. Likewise, specialist legal advice during the parallel process of drafting the supply contract of energy and power efficiency
- a leading private equity fund on the acquisition of two toll road concessionaries in Spain and Colombia involving complex principles
- Numerous contentious administrative appeals in relation to environmental, public procurement and regulatory issues
Miguel Ángel graduated in Law from the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid and in an advanced Energy Law Programme from the Instituto de Empresa as well as in International Law from the University of Oxford (Oriel College, CBL). He also holds an advanced corporate law programme from the Centro de Estudios Financieros.
He speaks Spanish and English.