Michael has more than 20 years experience in financial services, superannuation and insurance. Michael’s primary area of focus and expertise is on the regulation of retail financial services and products and in particular strategic regulatory advice. He is a recognised expert in the area of non-contentious regulation and is regularly nominated a leading practitioner in this space. He was most recently named as a leading practitioner in the area of regulation in Best Lawyers 2012.
Michael is widely recognised as a leader in his field and is regularly at the forefront of debating and developing new law and his advice is routinely sought in relation to strategic management of regulatory matters, including liaising with APRA and ASIC.
Recent experience includes advising:
- on the Health Super and First State superannuation merger including structuring and regulatory issues
- the Financial Services Council on the Future of Financial Advice (FOFA) reforms including providing constitutional advice on grandfathering issues which led to grandfathering relief
- on an enforceable undertaking for a director of an organisation under investigation by APRA and ASIC
- on a major incident involving the charging of adviser fees in relation to remediation and dealing with the regulators
- a major retail bank on the launch of a new product with an innovative fee structure, including liaising with the regulator.
Michael is on the committee of LexisNexis’ Financial Services Newsletter and Australian Superannuation Law Bulletin. He is a regular contributor to industry magazines and is frequently quoted in the financial press.
He is a regular presenter at external conferences run various conference organisers on a wide range of superannuation and life insurance topics.
Michael is a member of:
- the Superannuation Committee of the Law Council of Australia
- the NSW Executive of the Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia Limited.
Michael holds a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) from the University of Sydney and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of NSW.