Michael advises financial and corporate institutions on a range of legal and regulatory issues. This includes banking and financial services as well as corporate liability and obligations.
He advises clients on civil, criminal and regulatory disputes. He has experience working on regulatory and internal investigations, including in relation to sponsor obligations, mis-selling, AML/CTF, bribery, corruption and fraud. He also provides regulatory advice on issues such as licensing and regulatory developments.
He uses a client-focused, risk-based approach which is aimed at generating advice that is easy to digest and useful for his clients. His focus is to steer clients towards an optimal resolution and to provide practical and commercial advice that is tailored to his clients' needs.
He has previously been on secondment with the UBS Litigation & Investigations team in EMEA, London and APAC, Singapore. He has also been on secondment with Man Group, Hong Kong. His experience spans across the UK, Singapore and Hong Kong where he is currently based.
Michael's experience includes advising:
- a global bank to defend against regulatory disciplinary proceedings concerning sponsor investigations
- a global bank to successfully bring an application for summary judgment and strike out in respect of allegations relating to fraud and breach of AML procedure
- a large retail bank in respect of a portfolio of cases involving allegations relating to the mis-selling of interest rate derivative products
- a large retail bank in respect of a large criminal investigation into former employees
- a fund manager on its licensing position and prepare for a regulatory inspection
Michael holds an LLB from Durham University where he graduated with first class honours at the top of the law school. He is admitted to practise in England and Wales with higher rights of audience and in Hong Kong.