Michael advises financial institutions on a range of legal and regulatory issues relating to banking and financial services. He works with clients on litigation and regulatory disputes and also provides regulatory advice on issues such as licensing and regulatory developments. He uses a client-focused, risk-based approach which is aimed at generating advice that is easy to digest and useful for his clients.
His focus is to steer disputes towards an optimal resolution and to provide practical and commercial advice that is tailored to his clients' needs. He has previously been on secondment with the UBS Litigation & Investigations team in EMEA, London and APAC, Singapore.
His experience spans across the UK, Hong Kong and Singapore. He is currently based in Hong Kong on secondment.
- a global bank to defend against regulatory disciplinary proceedings concerning sponsor investigations
- a global bank to successfully bring an application for summary judgment and strike out in respect of allegations relating to fraud and breach of AML procedure
- a large retail bank in respect of a portfolio of cases involving allegations relating to the mis-selling of interest rate derivative products
- a large retail bank in respect of a large criminal investigation into former employees
- a fund manager on its licensing position and prepare for a regulatory inspection
Michael holds an LLB from Durham University where he graduated with first class honours at the top of the law school. He is admitted to practise in England and Wales with higher rights of audience and in Hong Kong.