Michael helps clients from a wide range of industry sectors to resolve their most complex international disputes through arbitration and other dispute resolution methods.
He has extensive experience in international arbitration under various institutional rules (ICC, JCAA and HKIAC) as well as litigation and various forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR).
Michael has worked in our London and Tokyo offices on disputes involving jurisdictions across Asia, Europe, Africa, the Middle East and North America.
His practice covers a broad range of contentious matters across a variety of industry sectors including energy, pharmaceuticals and consumer products.
Michael's experience includes advising:
- a Middle Eastern company in JCAA arbitration proceedings on the non-renewal of a long-term distribution agreement by a Japanese company
- one of Asia's largest private equity firms in HKIAC arbitration proceedings against another leading private equity firm, on the sale of its shareholding in a Korean company
- a Japanese energy company in ICC arbitration on the sale of its interest in an African oil field
- a Japanese pharmaceutical company on termination of a supply and licence agreement
- a large Japanese trading house on disputes arising from delays in a high-profile rail project
Michael is licensed to advise on the laws of England and Wales in Japan as a Registered Foreign Lawyer (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi). He is admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales and is a qualified Solicitor Advocate.