Michael has experience advising clients on large shareholder disputes, trust disputes, mis-selling and unauthorised trading claims, tax and transfer pricing disputes, large and complex contractual claims, and urgent injunctions.
He has advised clients in Hong Kong, Australia and the United Kingdom, and has particular experience working with banks and other financial institutions on complex litigation and legal issues.
Michael has also worked on a number of mediations and settlements, including a number of complex multiple-party disputes and high-value and successful mediations.
Michael's experience includes advising:
- UBS AG on its successful defence at trial in the High Court of Hong Kong of claims brought by a private wealth client
- shareholders in Asia Television on a series of major disputes concerning the failed broadcaster including recovery of substantial shareholder loans
- the Hong Kong liquidators of a global investment bank on a dispute concerning very substantial ad valorem fees and charges payable to the Hong Kong Government
- a global IT business on a major tax and transfer pricing dispute with the Australian Taxation Office
- a number of substantial listed companies on several shareholder disputes, including just and equitable winding-up petitions, unfair prejudice petitions and urgent interim injunction applications
Michael graduated with dual bachelor's degrees in law and economics from the University of Sydney.
He previously worked as an associate to Justice Arthur Emmett in the Federal Court of Australia, where his experience included major trials and appeals across a broad range of disputes.
Michael has worked in the firm's London, Sydney and Hong Kong offices, and is admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales, New South Wales, and Hong Kong.