Michael is a Partner specialising in construction and infrastructure dispute resolution.
Michael specialises in avoiding, managing and resolving disputes on construction and infrastructure projects.
Michael acts for commercial parties delivering major construction, engineering and energy projects on a broad range of issues typically arising from:
- delay and disruption
- scope change and payment
- performance failures, design and construction defects and security
Michael is experienced in resolving disputes in a variety of formal and informal processes, including litigation, arbitration, expert determination, adjudication and mediation.
Michael completed a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at the University of Auckland, and is admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court of Australia.
Michael has also completed his Master of Construction Law at the University of Melbourne and is an active member of the Society of Construction Law in Australia.
Experience & expertise
- acting for the Project Company in various disputes including litigation in the Supreme Court of Victoria against the Managing Contractor arising out of the Hopkins Correctional Facility PPP project in Ararat, Victoria
- acting for and advising principals in disputes with EPC contractors on wind and solar farm projects in New South Wales and Western Australia
- acting for an Australian Joint Venture D&C contractor in an arbitration against its design consultant in relation to the design and construction of a brownfield road and tunnel project in Brisbane
- acting for a leading Australian developer in an expert determination with a local authority regarding liability for construction costs under a Project Development Agreement for the completion of a $100m+ residential and commercial development in Sydney
- acting in litigation in respect of claims arising from major residential developments in Sydney