Michael specialises in the procurement and delivery of complex infrastructure projects across a number of sectors, with a focus on renewable energy, major transport infrastructure and mining. Michael has significant experience in drafting and negotiating all forms of major infrastructure project documentation including EPC contracts, D&C contracts, O&M agreements, off-take agreements and connection agreements. Michael's expertise also includes advising government agencies on the procurement and delivery of major infrastructure projects under the alliance (or IPD) contracting model.
In November 2018, Michael relocated to the New York Projects practice as part of the Latin America Group. Before relocating, Michael worked in the Herbert Smith Freehills' Melbourne projects practice.
- the Victorian Government (Major Transport Infrastructure Authority) on the procurement and delivery of the $1.5 billion Rail Infrastructure Alliance package (connection of brownfields rail assets to the new Metro Tunnel) and the $1 billion Rail Systems Alliance package (high-capacity signalling solution) of the $10.9 billion Metro Tunnel project
- Synergy in respect of the procurement, development and financing of the 30MW expansion of the Greenough River Solar Farm in Western Australia, as part of the Bright Energy Investments renewable energy fund
- Mantos Copper in relation to the procurement of major infrastructure for the Mantoverde Development Project and the Mantos Blancos Debottlenecking Project, in Atacama and in Antofagasta, respectively, Chile
- the financiers in respect of the development and financing of the 150MW Ross River Solar Farm in Queensland
- the Victorian Government (Rail Projects Victoria) on the procurement and delivery of the $518 million Ballarat Line Upgrade, part of the $1.5 billion Regional Rail Revival program located in Victoria
- IFM on the sale of Pacific Hydro (including its assets in Australia, Chile and Brazil)
Michael holds a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and a Bachelor of Commerce (Finance major – Honours) from Deakin University.
Michael is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Victoria and the High Court of Australia.