Matthias is a senior associate of Herbert Smith Freehills' Finance practice with more than 10 years of experience in advising on international cross-border transactions. He specialises in ABL and real estate financing.
Matthias has advised clients in a number of ABL transactions, in particular global borrowing base lending transactions, but also several real-estate as well as on acquisition financing (leveraged buy-out) financing. He advised in German factoring and securitization transactions with a focus on trade receivables financing.
Matthias' experience includes advising:
- several lenders on financing of a multi-jurisdiction asset based lending transaction
- several clients as borrowers on asset based lending financing
- US bank on financing of a mixed portfolio of real estate in Germany and the Netherlands
- US bank on financing of mixed portfolio of real estate in Finland
- Author, "Negative interest on existing cash deposits imposed by change in terms and conditions unlawful", International Law Office (ILO) Banking Newsletter, February 2018
Matthias graduated from the law school of the University of Würzburg, and holds a master’s degree in Corporate, Banking and Finance from the Law School of Fordham University, New York. Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills in 2016, he worked for other leading international law firms in Germany and in London. Matthias speaks English in addition to his native German.