Matthew helps clients on all aspects of contentious and non-contentious planning and development law, including the preparation and negotiation of planning applications and planning agreements, strategic advice on large scale regeneration, energy and infrastructure projects, environmental impact assessment, compulsory purchase, community infrastructure levy, judicial review and planning inquiries. Matthew acts on many high-profiles and politically sensitive projects and has extensive experience of regeneration schemes.
His expertise in planning and development is highlighted by listings in Chambers UK and Legal 500 and by his regular contributions to Herbert Smith Freehills' UK real estate development blog.
Matthew is a member of the Law Society's Planning Law Accreditation Scheme and the City of London Law Society Planning and Environmental Law Committee, a Trustee of the Architecture Foundation, a member of the British Property Federation's Planning Committee and a Legal Associate of the Royal Town Planning Institute.
Matthew's experience includes advising:
- London & Continental Railways on the Stratford City and King's Cross metropolitan regeneration projects in London, including securing consent for the Westfield Stratford City shopping centre and the Olympic Village
- Lendlease on securing planning permissions for The International Quarter, Stratford and planning advice in relation to the pre-let of two headquarters buildings to the Financial Conduct Authority and Transport for London
- Greater London Authority and The Silvertown Partnership jointly on the planning application for Silvertown Quays, a docklands regeneration scheme in London
- Brookfield on the Principal Place mixed use development in Hackney, London
- Lendlease on planning, section 106 and CPO aspects of the proposed redevelopment of The Timberyard, Deptford, UK