Matt has a wide range of experience in various jurisdictions advising funds, financial investors, founders and technology, media and telecommunication companies on complex commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, capital raisings, fund formation and investments, joint ventures, corporate restructurings and other complex transactions.
Matt has a reputation for being able to provide well-informed and pragmatic advice to his clients. He has the ability to understand commercial and financial strategy and provide client-focused legal advice.
Matt's experience includes advising:
- Grab, Southeast Asia's leading ride-hailing, logistics services and payments technology company, on various matters across South East Asia, including:
- its strategic partner arrangement with HappyFresh, a grocery delivery company operating across Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand, and the development of integrated service app GrabFresh
- on its acquisition of interests in Fave, a payments and consumer lifestyle online-to-offline business with operations across Southeast Asia
- Pomelo Fashion, an e-commerce and fashion retail company on various matters in South East Asia, including its various equity funding rounds, structuring and general corporate matters
- JD.Com, a NASDAQ-listed, Chinese e-commerce company on various matters, including:
- on its Series F investment into Go-Jek, Indonesia's first unicorn company that specialises in ride-hailing, financing and logistics
- its joint venture arrangements with Provident Capital
- Dentsu Aegis Network on various matters across APAC including:
- the proposed acquisition of an Australian media consultancy company
- the proposed acquisition of a Chinese ecommerce company
- Iflix, a subscription on demand OTT services focused on emerging markets on various matters internationally including, various structuring and regulatory matters in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Myanmar and Thailand and its shareholding joint venture arrangements in Africa
- Prosegur Singapore Pte. Ltd, a wholly-owned by Prosegur Compania de Seguridad SA, a company listed on the Madrid Stock Exchange on its acquisition of the ICS Secruity Services Business and Assets as a going concern from the LHN Group
- Triple P Capital a Singapore-based venture capital fund on its investments in the financial literacy gaming company The Praxis Company and the insurance IT solutions company Contemi Solutions AS
- Credit Card Compare an Australian credit card comparison company on its acquisition of Singapore-based credit card compare company Finty Pte Ltd.
- Orange Growth Capital, a leading Dutch-headquartered venture capital firm, on its Series B and Series C investments in in Indonesian mobile, e-payment/wallet and top-up technology companies
- Vodafone Europe B.V in relation to its proposed NZ$2billion reverse takeover of NZX-listed SKY Television Network Limited
- Vodafone New Zealand on its NZ$840million acquisition of Telstra New Zealand
- Element Financial Corporation on its NZ$840million acquisition of GE Corporation's New Zealand fleet leasing and equipment finance business
- Mercury Capital on the establishment of A$300million Mercury Capital Fund 2 and its downstream acquisitions and co-investments, including its acquisition of a 50% interest in Nirvana Group Limited, the largest independent private primary care medial organisation in New Zealand
- a leading clean resources fund in Asia in respect of its proposed joint venture and merger with an international renewable energy group with operations in the United Kingdom, Middle East, Pakistan and India
- a palm oil and rubber Indonesian plantation owner in respect of its proposed collaboration with and sale to a multi-national cocoa plantation organisation in South Jakarta, Indonesia
Matt has a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and a Bachelor of Commerce (Finance) from the University of Auckland. He joined Herbert Smith Freehills having spent over seven years practising as a corporate M&A lawyer at New Zealand's leading law firm and at another international law firm in Singapore.