Matthew has a broad range of private equity experience ranging from private equity M&A, to PE fund raises, PE fund secondary transactions, PE secondary M&A, specialising in portfolio platform acquisitions and disposals and bolt-on acquisitions, with extensive experience in cross-border M&A, investment and group structuring.
Matthew's M&A experience includes advising private equity funds and corporate clients on domestic and cross-border leveraged acquisitions, disposals, restructures, capital raisings and joint ventures.
Matthew's experience includes advising:
- Blackstone on its acquisition of Climate Technologies from Emerson
- Cabot Square Capital on its disposal of SPF Private Clients to Howden
- Fidelio on its acquisition of the Trinity Property Group
- A leading mid-market private equity player on its disposal of international sports education business, Ace Education (formerly AMOS)*
- Ancestry.com in its acquisition of Forces War Records*
- Alexander Mann Solutions in its acquisition of The Up Group*
- The sponsor in GIC's investment in Inspired Education, a leading international private education schools business*
- Zedra on its acquisition of the Fitzgerald and Law Group, London's leading provider of global expansion and corporate services*
- Zedra on its acquisition of BNP Paribas private wealth management business*
- Bowmark on its refinance of the Leaders Romans Group.*
- Mercury Capital on its disposal of the Novotech Group
- Archer Capital on its disposal of DairyWest
- Potentia Capital on its acquisition of Ascender Payroll
- Potentia Capital on its acquisition of the PeopleStreme Group
- BGH on its BGH Fund I fund raise – Australasia's then largest first-fund fund raise
- BUPA on its group restructure
*Experience gained prior to joining HSF
Matthew has a Juris Doctor (Honours) from the University of New South Wales and a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) (German and Music) from the University of Sydney
Matthew is a solicitor qualified in New South Wales and the High Court of Australia.
Matthew trained at Herbert Smith Freehills in its private equity practice in Sydney and, having worked in London for a number of years at leading international and mid-market PE practices, joined the Herbert Smith Freehills' private equity practice in London in 2022.
- English (native)
- German (conversational)