Matteo won "Young Practitioner of the Year" at the STEP Awards in 2022, with judges noting that Matteo "has all the qualities of an outstanding advisor, equipped not just technically but also demonstrating empathy for the charities and causes he is assisting, and at the forefront of trends that affect his clients. Over and above, he has a big heart and enormous social consciousness, with a genuine commitment to championing social justice, diversity and inclusion."
Matteo is listed as a 'Key Lawyer' for Charities and not-for-profit in Legal 500 UK 2022, and is praised by clients for being "brilliant: hardworking, bright, easy to deal with and clearly committed."
Matteo's experience includes advising:
- Bridges Outcomes Limited on social outcomes contracts in Sierra Leone and Ghana as part of the Education Outcomes Fund
- A high-profile impact investment fund on its acquisition of a minority equity stake in a social enterprise based in the UK, and associated issues related to exit mechanics, shareholder rights, and governance matters
- WeWALK, a “tech-for-good” start up supported by the Social Tech Trust and Microsoft through their “AI For Good” programme, on its series A investment round and associated issues related to exit mechanics, shareholder rights, and governance matters of its minority investors
- Social Tech Trust on its innovative revenue-based investment in health tech start up Xploro
- an international philanthropic organisation in connection with its role as up-front impact investor for a proposed development impact bond targeting health outcomes
- an international philanthropic organisation in connection with its role as outcomes payer in a proposed development impact bond relating to skills training and long-term employment
- two national charities within an international confederation in connection with proposed impact investment structures, including development impact bonds, social success notes, and outcome funds
- The Stone Family Foundation in relation to programme-related and mixed motive investments, and its wider social investment strategy
- Numerous charities (including Médecins Sans Frontières, United Kingdom for UNHCR, Queer Britain and Jangala) on their charity law, governance, corporate and commercial matters
- The Big Issue Group on numerous matters including the development of The Big Exchange, a financial marketplace providing access to ESG and impact investment opportunities for retail investors
- UnLtd in relation to arrangements with its partners, funders, investees and volunteers
- The United Nations Refugee Agency in relation to the launch of its global consumer goods platform MADE51 and the establishment of its UK-based charity
- Numerous charities and social enterprises on incorporation issues, charitable registration, social investment, corporate governance matters and the duties of charitable trustees
Matteo holds an MA Cantab (Hons) Law from Pembroke College Cambridge, and completed the Legal Practice Course in 2014. Matteo is admitted to practise in England and Wales. Matteo is a member of the Charity Law Association.