Client focussed to deliver strong commercial outcomes, Mark assists clients including investment banks, financial institutions and multinational companies with complex, cross-border commercial litigation.
He is able to manage and lead large teams of individual lawyers on litigation processes, such as document review, witness interviews / management and the production of witness statements and has led investigations into employee misconduct.
He develops close relationships with clients, colleagues and outside advisers to form cohesive and effective teams to develop strategic, client-oriented solutions.
Mark is able to assimilate quickly, and to retain, large amounts of complex information, including grasping complex quantum calculations and to produce reasoned and pragmatic commercial advice and analysis.
Mark advises clients on contractual disputes, structured products, banking confidentiality, fraud, regulatory investigations and internal systems and controls. Many of the matters Mark has worked on have involved allegations of fraud or wrongdoing and have involved parallel regulatory and criminal investigations or proceedings.
Mark's experience includes advising:
- Société Générale in relation to a USD $1.5 billion claim by the Libyan Investment Authority in relation to a series of derivative trades. The claim was successfully settled
- a large international bank in relation to employee misconduct, including FCA implications and threatened claims
- a large international bank in relation to a EUR 500 million claim arising from losses on structured investment products
- an international bank in relation to the successful settlement of Euro 130m claim involving allegations of bribery and transactions outside of capacity
- an asset management company in relation to disputes with shareholders, employees and consultants
- a UK bank on a £139 million claim against it by a leisure group
Mark holds a Bachelor of Laws from the University of East Anglia. Having trained with Herbert Smith in London, as an associate, Mark qualified initially into the employment team and spent time on secondments to Salesforce (employment) and in the Dispute Resolution Team of a major UK bank.