Mark helps clients involved in complex regulatory disputes or subject to regulatory investigations and actions. He has worked across the firm's London and Sydney offices for major Australian and UK listed companies.
Mark's work includes strategic advice to clients in a contentious context, investigations and commissions of inquiry, merits and judicial review of government decisions, and trials on complex commercial and regulatory matters.
Mark is the co-author of a leading Australian textbook on public law, Control of Government Action, and has published articles on civil procedure and public law in a number of leading journals.
Mark's experience includes advising:
- various listed companies and individuals in connection with criminal and regulatory investigations involving foreign bribery allegations and breaches of the Companies Act
- a major public company in proceedings for unconscionable conduct and misleading or deceptive conduct
- a global mining and resources company in relation to various issues arising from the failure of a major asset
- a multinational construction materials and building products business in connection with a Royal Commission and subsequent secondary boycott proceedings
- a listed mining company in an independent inquiry concerning the granting of coal licences in circumstances involving corrupt conduct and misfeasance in public office
Mark holds a Masters of Law (BCL) from the University of Oxford and a Bachelor of Arts & Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) from the Australian National University. He is a Member of the NSW Law Society's Public Law Committee.
He is admitted to practise as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW and the High Court of Australia.