Based in London, Mark has been helping clients solve their most complex and high-value problems for 30 years, in sectors as diverse as life sciences, FMCG, media and telecoms.
He has acted in a number of the leading IP cases and has extensive trial, deal and multi-jurisdictional dispute coordination experience.
In addition to heavyweight IP litigation, Mark spends much of his time in a strategic counselling role, helping clients to reduce their risk and achieve their goals, without the need to resort to the Courts.
Mark's recent experience includes advising:
- Apple in the UK trade mark infringement action brought by Cisco in relation to the iPhone mark
- a number of large corporates on significant crisis management and wider issues flowing from the cyber security breaches they have suffered
- Ball Corporation, a US-listed beverage packaging company, on the successful resolution of a long-running multi-jurisdictional trade mark dispute, with ramifications in various Central European jurisdictions as well as the UK
- Eisai in coordinating multi-jurisdictional patent litigation across Europe concerning Eisai's blockbuster drugs Aricept, an Alzheimer’s treatment, and Pariet, an anti-ulcer drug
- Granada and ITV in breach-of-copyright proceedings brought by Prince of Pop, Michael Jackson, in relation to Granada’s broadcast on ITV1 of the TV documentary Living with Michael Jackson
- IKOS (hedge fund) in a former director's proceedings asserting ownership of the intellectual property used by IKOS in its algorithmic trading software and alleged infringement of those IP rights
- Vodafone in trade mark infringement proceedings against Orange (comparative advertising) and in breach of contract and misrepresentation proceediings against the Jordan F1 team, (alleged breach of $150 million sponsorship deal)
All the major legal directories recognise Mark as a leader in his field including, Chambers, The Legal 500, Global Counsel 3000, Managing Intellectual Property and Who's Who Legal. Over the years he has been variously described in Chambers UK and The Legal 500 as follows:
"An Eminent Practitioner"
"A pleasure to work with…can be relied on to get you out of a ditch"
"Remarkable knowledge and brilliant litigation experience"
"Praised by clients for his strategic overview, pragmatic approach and creative solutions"
"Technically able and commercially savvy – he gives clear, decisive advice on complex issues"
"Absolutely terrific, has gravitas, deals with complex projects and gives consistent, high quality throughout. Takes a commercial approach and really understands his clients concerns"
The Legal 500:
"A great tactician"
"An outstanding lawyer" and
"One of the leading lights of Herbert Smith Freehills' practice".