Mark is responsible for developing and driving our vision to be “a world class professional services business bringing together the best people to achieve the best results”. He spearheaded the launch of our “Beyond 2020” global strategy, which centres on five key areas: clients, sectors and products; people, performance and leadership; service delivery; innovation and technology; and platform.
Underpinning this is his deep belief in serving our clients as well as we can, obsessing about their needs and constantly asking our clients about what they need and want.
Under Mark’s guidance the firm has made significant progress towards its strategic goals including:
- Helping our clients with their increasingly complex problems and opportunities
- Collaboration across offices and regions to deepen relationships with key clients and compete more successfully for premium cross-border mandates
- Delivery of an ambitious growth strategy resulting in the launch of several new offices, with a particular focus on EMEA and Asia
- Developing the firm's global Alternative Legal Services business to better serve our clients - including by building on the success of our Belfast office and rapidly extending it into Australia, China and Africa
- Continued strong financial performance including year-on-year growth in revenue and profit
Mark is also a member of the firm's Council, Chair of the Global Executive and Chair of the Global Diversity and Inclusivity Group.
He is also a member of the Business Council of Australia and the Financial Services Institute of Australia.
Mark is a Board Member of the European Australian Business Council, Redkite Children's Charity and Marymount International School.
Mark regularly speaks on a range of sector issues. Here are some short videos.
"EVERY law firm should obsesses about its clients. To succeed at Herbert Smith Freehills we have to make sure we obsess that little bit more."
Click here to watch my video on client service. Also available on YouTube.
"The pace of technological advances means that we need to be more responsive than ever in understanding innovation and how it can improve the service we offer our clients."
Click here to watch my video on artificial intelligence service. Also available on YouTube.
"Diverse people mean diverse clients and a happier workplace. It leads to better outcomes. And ultimately, it’s more fun."
Click here to watch my video on what matters to clients on diversity and inclusion. Also available on YouTube.
Awards and recognition
- Firm of the Year Award at the 2018 Australasian Law Awards
- Ranked 5th in the world in the 2018 edition of Law 360 Global 20
- Most Innovative Law Firm in Business of Law in Asia Pacific – FT Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers Awards 2017
- Top Law Firm in Client Service – Nisus Consulting 2017
Prior to becoming our CEO, Mark practised in the Finance Group advising banks and sponsors across a range of sectors. He has been a member of the management team for some time having led a number of practice groups including Head of the Banking group and Head of the Corporate Practice. Additionally he undertook the role of managing our client portfolio as Managing Partner, Clients and Industries. Mark joined the firm in 1988 and became a partner in 1996.