Mike McClure KC
Mike is a King’s Counsel solicitor advocate with expertise in arbitration, court and expert determination proceedings, and particular experience in the energy, construction, infrastructure and financial services sectors.
Mike advises clients on arbitrations under the auspices of several arbitral institutions, including the LCIA, ICC, HKIAC, SIAC, ICSID, LMAA, DIFC-LCIA, DIAC and BCDR.
He has also represented clients in ad hoc arbitrations under the English Arbitration Act and advised clients on English and DIFC First Instance and Court of Appeal proceedings.
Mike regularly contributes to the broader arbitration community in Korea, including sitting as an arbitrator at the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB) and coaching Yonsei University students participating in the annual Vis Moot. In 2019, he received the Korea Arbitration Award from the Korean Ministry of Justice in recognition of his contributions.
He is consistently recognised as a leading individual for international arbitration by Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and Who's Who Legal. According to Chambers Asia Pacific, Mike is “one of the best dispute resolution attorneys in this region," and that “he knows how to get the job done - a go-to person for high-stakes issues."
Mike has worked in the firm's offices in Seoul, London, Dubai, Hong Kong and Moscow.
He was previously a guest lecturer on the Masters in International Law Programme at the Sorbonne University in Abu Dhabi, a Regional Representative for the Middle East and North Africa for the LCIA Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG), and a member of the ICC Young Arbitrators' Forum and the ICDR Young and International Association.
Experience & expertise
- the Government of Korea - Jin Hae Seo v. Republic of Korea - the first investment treaty arbitration under the US-Korea Free Trade Agreement
- Hyundai Heavy Industries on its successful settlement in an ICC arbitration arising out of the US$10.3 billion Barzan gas pipeline project in Qatar
- a consortium of private equity buyers in US$1.8 billion ICC arbitration proceedings on a put option dispute arising out of the sale and purchase agreement relating to a major Korean insurance company
- a major Korean bank on the recovery of a substantial investment in a Jersey based derivative-linked securities fund, involving regulatory investigations and associated court proceedings
- a Korean contractor on a Dubai-seated ICC arbitration, on a dispute arising out of the construction of a power and desalination plant in Saudi Arabia
- a Korean contractor in SIAC arbitration proceedings seated in Singapore, on a dispute concerning issues arising out of a power plant in India
- a Korean shipbuilding company on a multimillion dollar LCIA arbitration, seated in London and governed by English law, regarding an indemnity for patent infringement
- a major Asian contractor in DIFC-LCIA arbitration proceedings in respect of a dispute relating to the construction of a district cooling plant in Abu Dhabi
- a leading oil major in respect of potential arbitration proceedings under a number of Middle Eastern bilateral and multilateral investment treaties arising out of disputed land borders and its impact on oil production
- a major Asian oil and gas company in arbitration proceedings related to an LNG pricing dispute in the Middle East
- a Swiss Private Bank in relation to joint venture disputes with its Middle Eastern business partner including potential LCIA arbitrations and related DIFC court proceedings
- a US drilling company in an ad hoc arbitration under the English Arbitration Act in respect of the sale of three oil rigs offshore West Africa