Matthew practises as a specialist in the superannuation and financial services industry.
Matthew has extensive experience of advising on a broad range of financial services matters in over 12 years of private practice, including on the sale/demerger of wealth management businesses, successor fund transfers, negotiation of service provider agreements, investor disclosure, and general legal, regulatory, governance and compliance issues.
Matthew has acted for the full spectrum of clients in the superannuation industry including industry, retail and public sector superannuation trustees, wrap platform operators, life insurers, investment managers, administrators and custodians.
Matthew holds a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Sydney.
Experience & expertise
- Advised OnePath Custodians (the ANZ Wealth superannuation trustee) on issues arising from the $850 million sale of the OnePath Pensions & Investments business to IOOF.
- Acted on the extraction of National Australia Bank’s superannuation business from MLC in preparation for the $2.4 billion sale of an 80% stake in MLC Life to Nippon Life.
- Advised TAL on the financial services aspects of its $640 million acquisition of Suncorp Life.
- Acted on various successor fund transfers including advising the RBA Officers’ Superannuation Fund on its $1.25 billion transfer to Sunsuper, and IBM Australia on its $1.7 billion transfer to AustralianSuper.
- Advised on negotiation of services agreements such as custody agreements for Colonial First State and HUB24, administration agreements for OnePath Custodians and Mercer and investment management agreements for NGS Super.