Matthew is a Senior Associate in our Financial Sponsors Group specialising in private equity, growth capital and private M&A.
Matthew has experience advising financial investors, including private equity houses, sovereign wealth funds, investment banks, infrastructure funds, pension funds and asset managers on a broad range of transactions, including leveraged buyouts, venture and growth capital investments, disposals, reorganisations, co-investments and joint ventures. Matthew has experience spanning a range of sectors, including infrastructure, financial services and fintech transactions.
Matthew joined the firm in 2015 and qualified in 2017. During his time at Herbert Smith Freehills, he has spent six months on secondment in our Singapore office. He has also completed client secondments at British American Tobacco in their M&A team and at AustralianSuper.
Matthew holds a BA (Hons) in Modern History from University College, Oxford University. He completed his Graduate Diploma in law and Legal Practice Course at BPP University in London.
Experience & expertise
- Blackstone on the non-US elements of its acquisition of a majority stake in Emerson’s Climate Technologies business – a deal valuing the business at US$14 billion
- a consortium comprising GIC and funds advised by BlackRock in relation to their acquisition from funds advised by Antin Infrastructure Partners of Kellas Midstream, an owner and operator of key gas infrastructure in the UK Central and Southern North Sea
- Goldman Sachs Asset Management on its investment in Form3 and exit from Beqom
- DWS on its exit from ground support equipment business TCR to 3i
- Inflexion on its sale of Succession Wealth
- Ixcellerate on its fundraising by, among others, Mubadala
- British American Tobacco on the establishment of corporate venturing vehicle Better Tomorrow