Matthew is a partner in the non-contentious construction and engineering practice, specialising in construction and development within the UK real estate sector. He frequently acts for developer clients on office and mixed-use development schemes as well as projects in the arts and education sector.
Based in London, Matthew has over 17 years' experience advising on major construction and development projects in London and the UK. He specialises in non-contentious construction law, acting for employers and developers in the drafting and negotiation of all forms of construction documentation including building contracts, consultancy agreements, collateral warranties, third party rights, performance bond and guarantees. He provides advice on procurement routes and the inter-relationship between construction documentation and property documentation.
Matthew provides strategic advice and risk analysis and understands the importance of effective project management of legal services. Matthew's expertise is highlighted by his listings in Chambers UK and Legal 500. Chambers describes how Matthew "gave strong advice on a complex set of matters. Legal 500 has previously noted that he acts "with the utmost integrity and always finds solutions rather than problems, and he has a great ability to defuse and find."
Matthew was admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales in 2006 and holds a MA in Modern History from Oxford University (Oriel College).
Experience & expertise
- British Land on the redevelopment of Broadgate (including 5 Broadgate, the Broadgate Circle, 100 Liverpool Street, 1 Finsbury Avenue, 135 Bishopsgate, 3 Broadgate, 1 Broadgate and 2-3 Finsbury Avenue)
- Stanhope on the development of 70 Gracechurch Street, Oxford North; the re-development of Elwick Place, Ashford and low-carbon workplaces projects at Grove House, Mansel Court, The Billings, Premier House, Kew Road, 29-39 Mount Pleasant and 5 Rosebery Avenue
- Hines on the re-development of 18 Blackfriars, 25 Cabot Square (“The Cabot”), Grain House, 80 New Bond Street, Film House, Atlas House, 7 Soho Square, Cannon Place, One Grafton Street and 280 High Holborn in London
- Storey in connection with refurbishment and fit-out projects at 1 Finsbury Avenue, 3 Finsbury Avenue, 338 Euston Road, 2 Kingdom Street, 4 Kingdom Street, 19-23 Wells Street and 6 Orsman Road
- Mountview on the construction of its new purpose-built theatre school (including 200 seat theatre, two TV studios, a radio suite, production workshops, music practice rooms and meeting rooms) in Peckham
- DWS on the redevelopment of Northcliffe House, Capital House and Park House in London
- Partners Group in respect of the redevelopment of 80 Fenchurch Street, London