Mathias specialises in the regulatory and transactional aspects of energy and infrastructure deals and projects in France and Africa.
Mathias is a public law and transactional lawyer advising on projects and deals in the energy and infrastructure sectors in France and French-speaking Africa. He supports his clients, who include operators, financial investors, public entities and lenders, on the full range of European and French energy and infrastructure regulatory issues, including in particular energy transition and climate changes aspects. He also advises the firm's clients on their litigation and pre-litigation strategy for regulatory and public procurement matters before the administrative courts in France, Francophone Africa and the European Union.
Mathias is recognised as a “Rising Star” for Energy – Regulatory and Public Law by Legal 500 EMEA 2021 (France), which quotes a source as saying that: “Mathias Dantin provides exceptional follow-up and responsiveness. He has a very methodical approach to cases, and presents an excellent balance of legal technical knowledge and the commercial approach that one can have with clients. His international experience is also very different compared to other firms with which we work.”
Who’s Who Legal 2018 says that Mathias is a “highly knowledgeable regulatory expert with deep expertise in the energy sector. Clients describe him as 'a very skilled lawyer' and commend his 'excellent communication skills and ability to clarify complex legal issues'."
Mathias is a member of the following organisations:
- American Bar Association (International Energy and Natural Resources Committee)
- Association Française du Gaz
- ATEE - Association Technique Energie Environnement
- SER - Syndicat des Energies Renouvelables.
Mathias is admitted to the Paris and New York Bars. He holds an LL.M from the University of Minnesota, Professional Masters degrees in Business law/tax and a Master 1 in public business law from the Magistère Droit Public de Affaires, University of Lyon III.
Mathias is a Visiting Lecturer at the Master 2 dedicated to energy regulation at the University of Aix-Marseille.
Mathias is Co-Chair of the International Energy and Natural Resources Committee of the American Bar Association
Experience & expertise
- a leading European energy client in relation to a claim against the French regulations on gas storage before the highest administrative court in France (Conseil d'Etat) and the European Court of Justice
- RTE (the French TSO) on the review of its applicable agreements for offshore grid connection and the negotiation of its agreements with cable suppliers and constructors following a regulatory change transferring to RTE full responsibility and management of the grid connection of offshore wind farms
- DWS via PEFI II GP on the acquisition of Vertex Bioenergy, S.L., a bioethanol producer through four assets located in Spain and France
- Akuo Energy on the development and financing of the Kita 50MW solar plant in Mali, including the review of the concession agreement with the State, review of the PPA and implementation of the lender's requirements regarding the project documentation (African Solar Deal of the Year 2018)
- EDF, International Finance Corporation and Government of Cameroon (as an investor) on the development and financing of the Nachtigal hydroelectric project (420MW) in Cameroon, which is one of the largest hydro independent power projects (IPPs) planned in Africa. Advice included the drafting and negotiation of the power purchase agreement, concession agreement, grid agreements and EPC contracts for the dam and a 80km long power line, as well as complex finance arrangements involving multiple DFIs and commercial banks (Multilateral Deal of the Year 2018, PFI Awards; African Power Deal of the Year 2018, IJGlobal Awards).