Martin is a professional support consultant in the Greater China arbitration practice.
Martin is an arbitration specialist who supports the work of the firm's market-leading Greater China arbitration practice. He has more than a decade of experience in complex and high-value arbitration matters, and has acted on some of the most significant arbitration-related court cases in Hong Kong.
Martin has a particular interest in issues of sovereign and crown immunity in the context of Hong Kong and the PRC, challenges to arbitral awards, arbitral procedure, interim measures in international arbitration, strategy and tactics in the resolution of disputes, and the effective use of written and oral advocacy.
Martin qualified in England and Wales in 2008 and Hong Kong in 2012. He has been based in Hong Kong since 2010, and has previously worked in the firm's London and Tokyo offices.
Experience & expertise
- acting for the successful party in the landmark case of Grand Pacific Holdings Limited v. Pacific China Holdings Limited, the leading decision in Hong Kong on the setting aside of arbitral awards
- advising on the ground-breaking case of China International Fund Limited v. Dennis Lau & Ng Chun Man Architects & Engineers (HK) Limited v. Secretary for Justice, in which the constitutionality of a provision of the Hong Kong Arbitration Ordinance was upheld
- acting for two Cayman funds in relation to HKIAC arbitration proceedings and security enforcement arising from a complex structured finance transaction
- acting for one of Asia's largest private equity firms in HKIAC arbitration proceedings against another leading private equity firm, arising out of the sale of its shareholding in a Korean company
- advising two Philippine energy companies in their successful claims against a US energy company for breaches of a joint venture agreement and a supply agreement in an ICC arbitration seated in Hong Kong.