Marta is a senior associate in the litigation and arbitration practice in the Madrid office, specialised in restructuring and insolvency.
She has extensive experience in civil and trade proceedings, focusing on litigation, pre-insolvency and insolvency law, including advocacy before the Spanish Courts. Her practice includes advising both international and local companies and creditors (both financial and commercial) in insolvency proceedings, as well as filing mandatory insolvency petitions in the name of the creditors. Additionally, she advises in restructuring, refinancing transactions, and loan portfolio acquisitions.
Her expertise is recognised in EMEA Legal 500 for restructuring and insolvency in 2020.
"Marta Rey is a lawyer with a lot of experience in insolvency matters.", EMEA Legal 500 2020 - Spain (Restructuring & Insolvency).
She was also recognized in Best Lawyers "Ones to Watch in Spain" in the practice area of Insolvency and Reorganization Law in 2022 and 2023.
She has a degree in Law by Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain) and an executive programme in Corporate law by IE Law School (Spain). She speaks Spanish and English. She is a member of the Ilustre Colegio de la Abogacía de Madrid (ICAM – Madrid Bar Association). She is also a member of the Board of Directors of the "Club Español de Derecho de la Insolvencia" (Spanish insolvency law association) and responsible for the Restructuring and Insolvency Commission of Women in a Legal World, a non-profit organization composed of professional women in the legal sector.
Experience & expertise
- a real estate and financial company on its position, as creditor of different companies, in an insolvency situation in several portfolios called "Project Goya", "Project Normandia" and "Project Tambo". Our services consist of the advice rendered to the client in relation to urge the compulsory insolvency against the debtors. In particular, our services include not just the request of insolvency order to the Court but also the advice during all the phases of the insolvency proceedings
- a French fashion retailer on its pre insolvency situation in Spain and in relation to the potential risks and liabilities for the sole director and the shareholder of the company in view of its financial situation
- a family company dedicated to regional distribution, transport and storage in the food sector on its pre-insolvency and insolvency petition
- a multi-asset alternative investment firm on (i) legal advice and representation, as creditor, of different companies in several insolvency proceedings and (ii) the termination of an operations contract in the context of an insolvency proceedings
- an end-to-end service on distressed (NPL & REO) investment opportunities, as a creditor of an insolvent debtor, on filing an application to the courts to issue an insolvency order as well as advice throughout the Insolvency proceedings