Mark is a Solicitor in the National Stamp Duty practice.
Mark advises on the duty implications of a broad range of commercial transactions and provides specialist resettlement and trust law advice to trustees. He also assists clients to implement transactions and attend to compliance with duty lodgement obligations. Mark has experience working with a range of clients on a wide variety of matters, and has experience dealing with stamp duty matters in all Australian States and Territories.
Mark’s practice is broad and includes acting for a wide variety of clients across all sectors and matters, including ASX listed clients in global and infrastructure sectors, a number of the Big 4 Banks, superannuation funds, life insurers, funds, and real estate clients.
Mark graduated from the University of Newcastle with a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours and University Medal) and a Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) (conferred with Distinction). Mark publishes regularly on stamp duty and trust law issues, and presents at client training and in-house seminars on same.
Before joining HSF, Mark was “tipstaff” (judicial associate) to a Judge of the New South Wales Court of Appeal and a casual academic at the University of Newcastle. Mark continues to be involved in the Professional Conduct, Administrative, and Constitutional law courses at the University.
Experience & expertise
- BHP Group Limited on its significant restructure and unification of its dual listing on the ASX.
- a number of superannuation, managed investment scheme, and fund trustees / responsible entities on specialist resettlement and trust law issues involving over $150 billion in funds under management.
- Brookfield on its $17.8 billion acquisition of AusNet Services.
- TAL Dai-ichi on its $900 million acquisition of Westpac Life Insurance Services.
- TAL Life Limited on the Part 9 transfer of the life insurance business of Asteron Life & Superannuation Limited to TAL Life.
- Origin Energy Limited on its acquisition of WINConnect.
- Seven West Media on its acquisition of the business and assets of Prime Media Group Limited.
- Spark Renewables on its acquisition of the Ceres Wind Farm Project.