With more than three decades of experience, Mark is widely regarded as a leading practitioner in the area of banking and finance law.
Mark offers expertise across a broad range of sectors including corporate finance, project finance, property finance (development and investment), and structured and asset-based finance.
Mark advises leading Australian banks and investment banks. He acted on the financing aspects of several major power and rail privatisation transactions in Victoria. More recently, he has been involved in a number of major property development projects acting primarily for financiers. Mark is also regarded as one of the leading practitioners in Australia in structured and asset-based financing.
Mark was named in the Banking and Finance and Asset Finance and Leasing sections of Chambers Global 2012 edition of the World’s Leading Lawyers. He was also named in the Aviation, Banking and Finance, Development and Project Finance and Structured Finance sections of the 2012 edition of Best Lawyers. Mark is also mentioned in the Banking and Financing section of The Legal 500 and in the Banking and Finance and Securitisation and Structured Finance sections of Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers.
Mark holds Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Commerce degrees from the University of Melbourne and was admitted as a solicitor in 1977. He joined Freehills in 2002 after 18 years as a partner in the banking and finance practice of another major law firm.
Experience & expertise
- National Express in the procurement and related $800m off-balance sheet lease financing of new rolling stock following its successful bids for Bayside Trains, Swanston Trams and V/Line Passenger, and in the associated securitisation of the Government supported lease rentals (INSTO Structured Deal of the Year)
- The development joint venture, led by the Grollo Group, in financing the A$400 million Eureka Tower Project
- The financier in the provision of a $200 million structured financing facility for the acquisition by a private sector contractor of naval support vessels for use in the delivery of operational services to the Department of Defence
- The financiers in the provision of a US$950 million syndicated master operating lease facility to Fortescue Metals Group in connection with the acquisition of mining equipment (CFO Capital Awards Syndicated Loan Deal of the Year 2012)
- The financier in the provision of a US cross-border lease financing of three corporate jet aircraft.