Marc Gottridge is a financial services litigation partner.
Marc Gottridge, a financial services litigation partner, represents some of the world's leading banks in major class actions, investigations, and commercial litigation.
In his practice, Marc defends financial institutions in multidistrict litigations and class actions, including high-profile cases involving financial benchmarks. He has also assisted global banks in complex commercial litigation as well as a wide variety of cross-border matters litigated in federal and state courts throughout the U.S., including clashes between U.S. discovery obligations and the laws of other countries, complex issues involving the recognition and enforcement in the U.S. of judgments obtained elsewhere, and the extent to which U.S. law reaches extraterritorially to cover our clients' activities in other countries.
A former federal prosecutor in the Southern District of New York, Marc has over three decades of experience as a litigator. He is a skilled trial lawyer and appellate advocate in both federal and state courts. Marc has also played a leading role in internal investigations and investigations conducted by the United States Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, and state regulators.
Marc served as law clerk to the Honorable José A. Cabranes, then in the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut (now of the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit).
- Litigation: General Commercial (New York), Chambers USA, 2017-2018
- Antitrust: Civil Litigation/Class Actions, Legal 500 US, 2017-2018
- J.D., Harvard University, magna cum laude, 1978
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
Experience & expertise
- representing a major European bank in investigations, a multidistrict civil litigation and class actions relating to LIBOR in federal court in New York and an antitrust action in federal court in California
- representing a major European bank in class action litigation relating to the London Gold Fixing process
- winning a zero damages jury verdict for the subsidiary of a major international bank in an action in the Commercial Division of New York State Supreme Court*
- representing international banks in obtaining recognition of non-U.S. judgments in New York and seeking full faith and credit for them in other states*
- representing international banks in discovery disputes involving conflicts between U.S. discovery rules and the laws of other countries*
*Experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills