Manuel is an of counsel in the litigation, ADR and arbitration practice.
Manuel helps clients with pre-contentious and contentious issues in civil, company, administrative, and criminal law matters, and has wide experience in arbitration matters (domestic and international).
Manuel is a state attorney (currently on extended leave), and former deputy director-general of the Litigation department at the Spanish General State Attorney's Office (a role he held for 19 years).
Manuel participated in the pre-legislative drafting of the Spanish law governing the Contentious Administrative Jurisdiction (1998), the Spanish Civil Procedure Law (2000) and legislation governing political parties and the election process, among others.
He is a regular speaker at conferences, and a lecturer at public and private universities – both national and international – in masters and other specialised legal courses. In particular, he has delivered numerous courses at the National Institute of Public Administration, the Institute of Public Administration in Madrid, the Legal Studies Centre of the Spanish Ministry of Justice and the General Council of the Spanish Judiciary.
He has also held positions as a state attorney at the Audiencia Territorial de Madrid (regional courts of Madrid), acting in civil, criminal, contentious administrative and employment disputes, and as coordinator of contentious administrative matters at its research centre; as secretary of the board of directors for public entity Autopistas del Atlántico; and as coordinator of public legal advice to public entity Paradores de Turismo de España.
Experience & expertise
- a leading Spanish bank on an investigation regarding liabilities in the management of real estate assets
- a Spanish railway construction company on a dispute regarding financial issues
- an international life insurance and pensions company on an arbitration case against a Spanish bank
- a Spanish energy company on legal action against the Regional Government of Andalusia, the Andalusian Water Authority, the State Administration and the Guadalquivir River Authority
- a leading environmental services company on an arbitration case linked to a water treatment plant
- a leading aircraft manufacturer on a dispute against the State Administration regarding a public contract
- an international concession and construction group on a dispute with an oil and gas company in relation to the construction of the Oran's Construction Centre in Algeria and EPA agreement in India
- a leading Spanish football club in a criminal proceeding on the hiring of a football player
- a Spanish Construction Group in an arbitration with an Algerian construction group in a dispute to the construction of a sport stadium in Algeria
- a Spanish Construction, Energy and Infrastructure group in an investment arbitration against the Algerian Government