Maged is one of the country's most-respected ﬁnancial services lawyers with over 30 years’ experience specialising in ﬁnancial services law, advising superannuation fund and life insurance clients.
Maged’s experience includes working as an in-house counsel for a large life insurance and superannuation provider giving him invaluable industry experience to his specialist practice.
His comprehensive expertise covers all aspects of ﬁnancial services including governance, regulatory compliance and intervention, investments, product development, ﬁnancial planning, judicial advice application and disputes. Maged's clients span the full spectrum of the ﬁnancial services industry including industry, public oﬀer and public sector superannuation funds, life insurance companies, ﬁnancial institutions, investment managers and employers.
Maged is a regular presenter including at ASFA Governance Training, Law Council of Australia Conferences for Superannuation Lawyers, at Herbert Smith Freehills’ own Insight series and Connection series luncheons and at numerous trustee boards. He has a particular interest in presenting on the duties of trustees and directors in relation to ESG matters, in particular the risks posed by climate change.
Maged holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Economics from Macquarie University.
Industry recognition and awards
- Maged is named:
- Band 1 - a Leading Individual, Investment Funds: Superannuation in Chambers Asia Paciﬁc (2014 to 2022)
- Best Lawyers' "Lawyer of the Year" in Superannuation for Sydney for 2020
- Best Lawyers' "Lawyer of the Year" in Wealth Management for Sydney for 2018 and 2020
- Best Lawyers in areas of Superannuation (2014 to 2022), Funds Management (2013 to 2022), Wealth Management (2014 to 2022), Financial Institutions (2021 and 2022) and Insurance Law (2021 and 2022) and
- a leading lawyer in Who's Who Legal: Pension & Beneﬁts (2015 and 2016) and Labour, Employment and Beneﬁts (2017 to 2022).
- one of the “Top 10 Superannuation Lawyers Shaping Australia’s Pension Industry in 2023” by Business Today.
- Maged is a
- Fellow of the Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia
- Member of the Law Council of Australia Superannuation Committee and the Chair of the conference committee of Law Council of Australia Superannuation Committee.
Experience & expertise
- all aspects of relevant legislation such as SIS, SGC, Corporations Act and FSR legislation
- AFS licence and RSE licence obligations
- superannuation fund mergers
- transfers of superannuation and wealth businesses
- trustee law duties
- judicial advice applications
- governance documentation including constitutions and Board policies
- extensive experience in dealing with regulators including APRA, ASIC and the ATO
- advising on private equity and alternative investments (including limited partnerships, hedge, index, and currency funds and other collective investment vehicles)
- life, salary continuance and indemnity insurance arrangements for funds
- benefit design including the impact of DDO and compliance with anti-discrimination law
- preparing and reviewing documents with service providers (including life policies and investment management, asset management, custodian and administration agreements)