Luis has over 15 years’ experience practicing international arbitration with international law firms in Europe and Latin America.
He has acted as counsel and arbitrator under a variety of applicable domestic laws and under the rules of the major arbitral institutions. He has focused his practice on complex commercial and construction disputes related to cross-border commercial agreements, joint ventures and M&A transactions in the engineering and construction, banking and finance, insurance, private equity, electricity, and oil & gas sectors.
Luis is ranked as a disputes resolution lawyer in leading international legal publications and directories including Chambers and Partners (Chambers Global 2021 and Chambers Europe 2021). He is also recognized in the Future Leaders - Partners section of Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration 2021, dedicated to the world’s leading arbitration experts aged 45 or under. Moreover, he is ranked in the 2021 Edition of The Best Lawyers in Spain in International Arbitration.
He has been an Honorary Professor at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid and guest lecturer and speaker at universities and conferences. He has authored numerous publications in law journals and contributions to collective works.
Luis's experience includes advising:
- a Mexican electric utility in a dispute against a Spanish EPC contractor arising from an EPC contract for the construction of a combined-cycle plant in Mexico (ICC, Mexico City, Mexican law, Spanish)
- a Spanish natural gas trading company in setting aside proceedings against an award rendered in a CRCICA arbitration against a North African state-owned holding company of gas projects (Spanish Courts)
- a Spanish manufacturer of automotive components in an arbitration brought by a manufacturer of automotive components from Liechtenstein in relation to a dispute arising from an agreement for the supply of lock nuts (ICC, Paris, Swiss law, English)
- a Chilean construction company in an arbitration against a Peruvian public body in relation to a dispute arising from a road construction agreement (ICC, Panama, Peruvian law, Spanish)
- a Colombian infrastructure concession company in an arbitration against a Spanish construction company in relation to a dispute arising from an EPC contract for the construction of motorways (ICC, Madrid, Colombian law, Spanish)
A German qualified lawyer, Luis is admitted to the Madrid and the Munich Bars. He holds a Law Degree from the Humboldt Universität zu Berlin and an LL.M. (First Class Honours) from The University of Auckland.
He speaks Spanish, English and German.