Luis has over 10 years’ experience practicing international arbitration with international law firms in Europe and Latin America.
He has acted as counsel and arbitrator under a variety of applicable domestic laws and under the rules of the major arbitral institutions. He has focused his practice on complex commercial and construction disputes related to cross-border commercial agreements, joint ventures and M&A transactions in the engineering and construction, banking and finance, insurance, private equity, electricity, and oil & gas sectors.
Luis has been described as "distinguished and competent" in The Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa 2019. He has been recognized in the Future Leaders - Partners section of Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration 2020, dedicated to the world’s leading arbitration experts aged 45 or under. He is also ranked in the 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in Spain in International Arbitration.
He has been an Honorary Professor at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid and guest lecturer and speaker at universities and conferences. He has authored numerous publications in law journals and contributions to collective works.
Luis's experience includes advising:
- a Spanish construction company in an arbitration brought by a Qatari construction company in a dispute related to the construction of infrastructure projects in Qatar (ICC, Geneva, Swiss law, English)*
- a German company in the naval shipbuilding industry in an arbitration brought by a Venezuelan public company (ICC, Madrid, Venezuelan law, Spanish)*
- a Canadian oil & gas company in an arbitration against a Spanish EPC contractor in a dispute related to an underground gas storage facilities project (ICC, Madrid, Spanish law, English and Spanish)*
- a Spanish bank in an arbitration brought by a Russian electric utility in a dispute arising from a demand guarantee (ICC, Paris, English law, English)*
- a UK private equity firm in an arbitration brought by a US private equity firm in a dispute related to the acquisition of a group of companies (ICC, Madrid, Spanish law, English)*
*experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
A German qualified lawyer, Luis is admitted to the Madrid and the Munich Bars. He holds a Law Degree from the Humbolt Universität zu Berlin and an LL.M. (First Class Honours) from The University of Auckland.
He speaks Spanish, English and German.