Leon is a partner in the Disputes group in Sydney, and specialises in international disputes, international arbitration and risk management. He helps global clients in a number of industries, focusing particularly on the energy and resources, mining, infrastructure, sovereign investment fund, government and financial services sectors.
His practice covers front-end international contracting, investment, and risk management and assessment issues, as well as international dispute resolution.
Leon’s areas of expertise include:
- international commercial transactions and contracting;
- international investments and cross-border transactions, including free trade agreements, and bilateral and multilateral investment treaties;
- international arbitration and transnational litigation;
- investigations by and applications to foreign governments and international regulatory bodies and organisations; and
- corporate compliance, including with anti–foreign corruption regimes, international sanction regimes and other international legal obligations.
Leon is a director of the Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (ACICA). ACICA is Australia's leading international dispute resolution body and is active in international and domestic arbitration and mediation.
In 2004 to 2005, Leon was seconded as an attorney to New York–based law firm Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP, where he specialised in international arbitration and dispute resolution.
Leon is a regular contributor to international dispute resolution journals and newsletters, and has taught courses and given seminars in this area.
Leon’s experience includes advising:
- Peabody , the world’s largest private sector coal company, in arbitral proceedings against Cargill under the International Chamber of Commerce Arbitration Rules and in the Supreme Court of NSW
- a leading global energy and resources company on international dispute resolution proceedings in Singapore and the Philippines. The dispute involved international arbitration and concurrent litigation proceedings
- multinational corporations on the application of free trade agreements, and bilateral and multilateral treaties
- multinational energy and resources companies on the preparation of international sales contracts
- a global mining and resources company in an investigation by the US Securities and Exchange Commission/Department of Justice in relation to the application of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Ac of 1977
- a global communications company on a review and benchmarking of sanctions and export controls policies and procedures;
- the board of a leading Australian company in relation to the management of product risks
- the Telstra board in relation to the National Broadband Network project
Leon holds a Bachelor of Commerce and a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) degree from the University of Sydney.
He is admitted to practise as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW, the Supreme Court of South Australia, the Federal Court of Australia and the High Court of Australia.