Leon is a partner in the Disputes Group. He is an experienced and highly regarded litigator and arbitrator. His practice encompasses commercial disputes, regulatory investigations and inquiries, international arbitration and disputes and providing crisis and risk management and strategic advice to Boards. Leon has advised and acted across a number of industries for global clients.
He has particular expertise in alternative dispute resolution processes including international arbitration, expert determination and mediation; in international investments and cross-border transactions including FTAs and investment treaties; and in corporate responsibility compliance with anti-foreign corruption and sanction regimes.
Leon is consistently ranked as a leading commercial litigator and arbitrator. Most recently he was listed in Best Lawyers Australia as a leading commercial litigator and in Doyle’s Guide as a Pre-Eminent Arbitration Lawyer. In 2017 and 2018, he was awarded an Acritas Star Award for arbitration work based on client feedback and was also named in Global Arbitration Review’s Who’s Who’s Legal: Arbitration – Future Leaders 2017 and 2018 and Asia Pacific Legal 500.
Leon is a director of the Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (ACICA). ACICA is Australia's leading international dispute resolution body and is active in arbitration and mediation.
Leon’s experience includes:
- acting for a leading international resources company and advising the Board in relation to crisis management issues arising from operational and mine failures resulting in the loss of significant mine capacity
- acting for National Australia Bank in relation to Financial Services and Banking Royal Commission;
- advising the Telstra Board in relation to the NBN Project and its negotiations with the Federal Government
- acting for a leading global energy and resources company in multiple and concurrent international arbitration proceedings relating to significant resources contracts with its customers.
- acting for a global engineering company in multi-jurisdictional ICC international arbitration proceedings
- acting for a global communications company in a review and benchmarking of sanctions and export controls policies and procedures
- acting for a global gas company in relation to investments in Asia and Eastern Europe including in relation to due diligence for foreign corrupt practices and sanctions and export controls issues
- acting in coronial inquests involving large corporations.
- advising and acting for major energy and resources companies on foreign corruption practices and sanctions regimes.
- acting for the Board of a healthcare company in relation to a bribery and corruption investigation in relation to its senior executives
Leon holds a Bachelor of Commerce and a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) degree from the University of Sydney.
He is admitted to practise as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW, the Supreme Court of South Australia, the Federal Court of Australia and the High Court of Australia.
He is Vice President of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and Director of ACICA.