Leana's practice is focused on competition law, but she also has extensive experience in other regulatory fields, such as consumer protection, data protection, gaming and gambling, franchising, trade and administrative law.
She is experienced in all aspects of competition law, including mergers, prohibited practices, leniency applications, and abuse of dominance. Leana has been involved in several high-profile competition matter including in the casino and gaming, fast moving consumer goods, airline, food services, construction and private healthcare industries.
She further boasts an extensive track record in advising clients on competition law on the African continent and has experience in advising clients in respect of competition law in Botswana, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and the Common Market of Southern and Eastern Africa (COMESA).
Leana was recently ranked as a Next Generation Lawyer in competition law by Legal500 and was described as "exceptional".
Leana's experience includes;
- representing SA Airlink in relation to the Competition Commission's high profile referral of an abuse of dominance case against the airline
- advising MIH eCommerce Holdings Proprietary Limited ("MIH"), a company within the major internet investor and media conglomerate Naspers Limited group, and We Buy Cars Proprietary Limited ("WeBuyCars") in respect of the purchase by MIH of 60% of the shares in WeBuyCars
- acting for Easigas Proprietary Limited ("Easigas") in respect of the Commission's investigation and subsequent referral against various liquid petroleum gas wholesalers in respect of alleged price fixing of the deposit charged for cylinders
- acted for Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha ("K"Line) in South Africa in relation to alleged collusion in the market for the maritime shipping of motor vehicles
- advising an automotive parts manufacturer in South Africa as part of a global investigation into the automotive parts sector in various countries including the United States, Europe, Brazil, India, Australia and the United Kingdom
Leana holds a BCom. Law (cum laude) and LLB (cum laude) degrees from the University of Pretoria. She is an admitted attorney in South Africa.