Leana's practice is focused on competition law, but she also has extensive experience in other regulatory fields, such as consumer protection, data protection, gaming and gambling, franchising, trade and administrative law.
She is experienced in all aspects of competition law, including mergers, prohibited practices, leniency applications, and abuse of dominance. Leana has been involved in several high-profile competition matter including in the casino and gaming, fast moving consumer goods, airline, food services, construction and private healthcare industries.
She further boasts an extensive track record in advising clients on competition law on the African continent and has experience in advising clients in respect of competition law in Botswana, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and the Common Market of Southern and Eastern Africa (COMESA).
Leana was recently ranked as a Next Generation Lawyer in competition law by Legal500 and was described as "exceptional".
- acted for Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha ("K"Line) in South Africa in relation to alleged collusion in the market for the maritime shipping of motor vehicles
- acting for Naspers in its acquisition of the largest motor dealer group in South Africa, and in respect of its recent acquisitions of AutoTrader, the leading automotive classified portal in South Africa, and Takealot.com, South Africa's largest e-tailer
- acting for a prominent liquid petroleum gas wholesaler in the Commission's investigation and subsequent referral LPG wholesalers in respect of alleged price fixing of the deposit charged for LPG cylinders
- acted for one of South Africa's most prominent fast-moving consumer goods companies, Pioneer Foods, in its acquisition of Heinz Foods South Africa and Future Life Health
- acting for a prominent regional airline in various abuse of dominance matters
Leana holds a BCom. Law (cum laude) and LLB (cum laude) degrees from the University of Pretoria. She is an admitted attorney in South Africa.