Lucila is an Associate specialising in international arbitration.
Lucila is an Associate in New York specialising in international arbitration. She is qualified to practice law in Argentina and is fluent in Spanish (her mother tongue) and English.
Lucila's experience includes commercial as well as investment arbitration. She has advised and represented clients in several complex international arbitration proceedings under the rules of the most important institutions, including ICC, UNCITRAL and ICSID. Lucila has also experience working in Latin America, dealing with worldwide clients having disputes or looking for business in the region, relating to all major industry sectors.
Lucila worked as a Visiting Attorney in our New York office and as an Associate in our London office before relocating back to New York. Prior to joining the firm, she worked for several years as an Associate in the Argentinean law firm Beccar Varela.
Lucila graduated with honours from University of Buenos Aires Law School in 2010.
She obtained an LL.M. (with merit) in International Law from University College London in 2016, where she received a distinction for her master's dissertation.
Experience & expertise
- representing a South-American joint venture in an ICC commercial arbitration relating to the breach of an EPC contract for the construction of an off shore regasification terminal in a South American country
- representing the Republic of Costa Rica in international investment arbitration proceedings David Aven and others v. Costa Rica under DR-CAFTA and UNCITRAL arbitration rules
- representing a major pharmaceutical company in an UNCITRAL commercial arbitration in relation to the termination of a long-term distribution agreement*
- advising a mining company, whose operating license was suspended in a Central-American country, on avenues to enforce its rights as foreign investor under international law
- representing an Argentinean oil company in a commercial arbitration where the claimant claimed the reimbursement of the investments made in relation to a hydrocarbon investment contract*
*prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills