Louis is an associate in our New York office, specialising in international arbitration.
Louis is trained in both common law and civil law systems and has handled complex arbitrations involving a range of governing laws and jurisdictions. Louis has been based in New York since 2018 and has previously worked in Herbert Smith Freehills' Hong Kong and Paris offices. Prior to joining the firm, Louis was a foreign legal consultant for one of China's biggest law firms and a delegate to the United Nations at the 49th session of UNCITRAL.
He is fluent in English and French, and he has basic knowledge of Mandarin.
Louis earned his J.D. (Hons) from Bond University, Australia and an LL.M. in Chinese Law from Tsinghua University, Beijing, where he was a senior editor for the University's law review and a mooting coach. Louis was First Runner Up for Best Oral Advocate at the 2015 Willem C Vis (East) International Commercial Arbitration Mooting Competition. He also earned his B.A. in Political Science from University Laval, Canada.
Experience & expertise
- an upstream oil and gas company in a claim valued in excess of USD 5.5 billion in relation to a joint investment in offshore North Sea oil and gas assets (English law, SIAC arbitration in Singapore)
- a multinational energy company in connection with a USD 18 billion sham arbitral award rendered in Egypt and related arbitral enforcement proceedings in the United States
- a multinational oil and gas company in a dispute with offshore drilling contractors in the Gulf of Mexico (New York law, AAA arbitration in New York)
- a Spanish construction company in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Algeria under the Spain/Algeria BIT in relation to public housing construction projects (ICSID Case No. ARB/17/1)
- a leading mining company against an African state-owned company in an ICC arbitration in Paris in relation to mining concessions
- a multinational hospitality company in an ICC arbitration in London and related UAE court proceedings
- a major pharmaceutical company in a dispute relating to the development and commercialization agreements of a cancer drug
- a Chinese bank in negotiations with African states for the financing of a major hydropower project
- a leading steel and mining company in relation to arbitral enforcement proceedings in the Southern District of New York
- a multi-national French energy company in an ICC arbitration arising out of a long-tern LNG supply agreement
- a Singapore LNG company in an ICDR arbitration arising out of a long-tern LNG supply agreement
- a multi-national oil and gas company in an ICC arbitration arising out of a long-tern LNG supply agreement
- a Chilean energy company in a dispute in relation to an EPC contract against a major global engineering construction company based in the United States