Kathryn has nearly 15 years' experience of advising clients on arbitration and litigation proceedings in Asia Pacific.
She has advised clients across a wide range of industries and locations, with particular strengths in financial services, energy and in China-related matters.
Her arbitration skills and reputation in China matters are enhanced by her ability to speak and read Mandarin Chinese.
Kathryn has an impressive profile in the Asian international arbitration market. She has been a Council Member of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) since 2008 and serves on the HKIAC Executive Committee. She is the current chair of the HKIAC appointments committee and has also served on its rules and proceedings committees.
Kathryn sits as an arbitrator, is listed on the HKIAC's List of Arbitrators, and is also a member of the Users Council of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
She is admitted to practice in England and Wales and Hong Kong.
- a Chinese importer of manganese iron ore in a US$300 million LCIA arbitration
- a US energy company in ICC arbitration proceedings, California seat, against its Taiwanese joint venture partner for breaches of a joint venture agreement, also involving substantive questions of competition law
- a Chinese SOE on setting aside a SIAC arbitration award, and related Hong Kong and China enforcement proceedings
- a foreign investor in a series of arbitrations over successful claims arising out of Chinese infrastructure joint ventures. The final arbitration resulted in an award of over US$300 million
- the world's largest biotech company in ICC proceedings against a PRC company in relation to claims arising out of a pharmaceutical Collaboration Agreement
- a US ratings company on its investment into a Chinese company and subsequent termination and settlement of the shareholders' agreement after US regulatory red flags were raised
- one of Asia's largest private equity fund in HKIAC arbitration proceedings concerning a Korean M&A dispute
- a shipping magnate in respect of claims for the tort of conspiracy and related injunction and arbitration enforcement proceedings
- a fashion retailer in Singapore arbitration proceedings (UNCITRAL Rules) in respect of claims for breach of a supply contract and infringement of IP rights
- a publisher and its reporter in high-profile defamation proceedings brought in Hong Kong, in respect of an article written about the Macau casino industry, and assisted on third-party discovery proceedings in the US