Kartik is dual qualified in India and New York and holds over 7 years of experience in commercial disputes, including arbitration, and potential disputes across a variety of sectors. Kartik has an extensive understanding of the Indian legal system, where he represented various clients before the Supreme Court, the High Courts of Delhi and Bombay, arbitral tribunals and other forums.
Kartik has advised clients in the banking, finance, sports, and construction sector.
Prior to joining HSF, Kartik worked in the disputes team at Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas in Mumbai, one of India's leading law firms, where he advised various banks, financial institutions, construction companies and sporting bodies. He also completed a 5-month secondment to one of India's largest fantasy sports operators.
Kartik's experience includes:
- advising Post Office on compensation claims by criminally convicted postmasters, schemes for other affected individuals and a series of select committee and other government inquiries following the successful settlement of Post Office's highly publicised class action relating to defects in its computer system
- getting an arbitral award worth over GBP 470 million set aside by the Bombay High Court relating to a complex franchise agreement to run a cricket team in the Indian Premier League *
- advising a multinational company in a commercial dispute relating to an LSTK-EPC contract concerning oil wellhead platforms, and involving claims aggregating to GBP 65 million *
- advising a bank in proceedings before the Bombay High Court concerning debt enforcement claims aggregating to GBP 58 million amidst inter-se disputes between partners of the borrowing entities and allegations of fraud *
- advising a group of leading banking and non-banking financial institutions in respect of a corporate defamation claim worth GBP 10 million against a leading credit reporting agency *
* prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Kartik holds a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Arts from Jindal Global Law School (India) and a Master of Laws from NYU School of Law. He is enrolled as an Advocate with the Bar Council of India, and an Attorney-at-law with the New York State Bar Council.