Katie works with a range of public and private sector clients, with a particular focus on construction, transport, manufacturing and retail.
Katie has experience in both litigious and non-litigious matters across a wide range of workplace health and safety, employment and industrial relations matters, including:
- advising on general employment matters
- providing advice on employment rights and conditions under enterprise agreements, modern awards, contracts of employment, the Fair Work Act and other legislation
- assisting clients with unfair dismissal and general protections claims
- advising on occupational, health and safety matters
- assisting clients with WHS-related litigation including administrative reviews and prosecutions
- advising clients on pro-active WHS compliance in relation to their operations
- due diligences
Katie has worked on important matters for many leading employers, including; Toll, Jetstar, Nufarm, Wood Group, Orora, Metropolitan Fire Brigade, Australian Building and Construction Commission, Metro Trains Melbourne, Vicinity Shopping Centres, and Jemena. She is respected for her ability to communicate at all levels, her considered advice and commercial acumen.
Katie is also a significant contributor to the firm’s pro bono programs, acting for clients in health services, the arts and representing women and children at risk of homelessness in a range of legal matters via the Justice Connect - Homeless Law program.
Katie holds a Juris Doctor from Monash University. Katie is admitted to practice as a barrister and solicitor in both State and Federal jurisdictions and is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria. Katie also holds a Bachelor in Performing Arts and a Graduate Diploma of Secondary Education and Teaching from Monash University.
Experience & expertise
- Acting for a public entity against a threatened class action for an alleged breach of an enterprise agreement, engaging in mediation on behalf of the client and negotiating a satisfactory outcome, thereby avoiding the need for lengthy litigation
- Advising a construction client in relation to a WorkSafe prosecution, and achieving a successful outcome
- Acting for a manufacturing client during enterprise bargaining and successfully obtaining an order in the Fair Work Commission against attempted unprotected industrial action
- Representing a manufacturing client in the Supreme Court in an appeal against a conviction under the Occupational Health and Safety Act