Kathryn specialises in environment and planning law, advising government and private sector clients on major infrastructure projects, environmental compliance, regulatory issues and planning and environment litigation.
Kathryn is a partner in the Projects, Energy and Infrastructure team, who specialises in approvals and delivery for major infrastructure projects, environmental incident management, regulatory development, environmental issues for transactions and planning and environment litigation.
According to Chambers Global, “Kathryn Pacey is well regarded in Brisbane for her work acting for major infrastructure players on all environment and planning aspects of major projects, as well as for assisting clients with environmental issues arising from M&A transactions…she receives an enthusiastic tribute from a client who, in addition to calling her 'an excellent, extremely experienced technical lawyer and one of the best in her field,' observes: 'She thinks laterally and out of the box, is excellent at coming up with solutions and options, understands commercial drivers, always meets deadlines and is extremely hard-working and very approachable.'"
Kathryn has a Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Laws from the University of Queensland, and a Master of Laws from Queensland University of Technology.
Kathryn is recognised as a leading lawyer across environment, planning, climate change, natural resources, government practice and project development. She is profiled in Chambers Global, Asia Pacific Legal 500, Best Lawyers (2014-2021), IFLR 1000, Doyles (in the pre-eminent category) and was named Planning and Environment Partner of the Year 2021 by Lawyers Weekly.
Experience & expertise
- major infrastructure projects – Kathryn has advised on the approvals strategy, environmental assessment, commercial arrangements and delivery of some of Queensland’s largest infrastructure projects, including Clem7, Airport Link, Legacy Way, Cross River Rail, Hinze Dam raising, Wyaralong Dam, South East Queensland Water Grid and the Parklands Athletes Village*
- incident management and compliance – Kathryn has advised on a range of environmental incidents, including licencing, releases and regulatory investigations, as well as preventative advice including training and compliance reviews*
- regulation – Kathryn has advised on the development and implementation of legislative frameworks and policy for environmental assessment, planning and enforcement*
- transactions – Kathryn has advised on environmental and approvals risk and commercial terms for transactions for industrial premises, mining and gas projects, agricultural assets and residential projects*
- litigation – Kathryn has represented clients in various courts and commissions of inquiry in relation to environmental and town planning issues, including flooding, approvals processes, approvals conditions, statutory interpretation, land use planning, agricultural land, noise and air quality.*
*Experience was gained at a previous firm.