Justin leads the firm's Disputes practice and Asia and US regions, overseeing people, practices, clients and growth strategies.
During his 21-year career with Herbert Smith Freehills, Justin has overseen the growth of successful businesses including the firm's market-leading Disputes practice and rapid expansion in Asia.
A thought leader and skilled practitioner in arbitration and dispute resolution, Justin has appeared before tribunals around the world and regularly sits as arbitrator.
He works closely with the firm's largest clients, both in his personal practice role and as a regional and global business leader.
The founder of the firm's first LGBT+ network in 2007, Justin is a strong advocate and active supporter of diversity and inclusion in the firm and the wider community.
He is currently a member of the firm's Global Executive, chair of the Asia and Disputes Executives, and Executive Sponsor of IRIS, the firm's global LGBT+ network.
Justin's recent legal experience includes:
- representing the Government of Korea on the first investment treaty arbitration under the US-Korea Free Trade Agreement (Jin Hae Seo v. Republic of Korea)
- advising the Government of Malaysia on a US$1.2 billion arbitration against the Republic of Singapore concerning the interpretation of a bilateral treaty
- advising Grand Pacific Holdings Limited on its high-profile and successful appeal against a decision by the Hong Kong Court of First Instance to set aside an ICC arbitral award in its favour
His professional, business and community experience include:
- Ranked in the FT/OUTstanding LGBT+ Executive Role Model Lists rankings every year since 201
- Led the firm's Asia region to be named Most Innovative Law Firm at the FT Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers 2019, and winning the award for Innovation in Diversity and Inclusion for the region's Asia Multicultural Network.
- Chair of the ICC's Commission on the Belt and Road Initiative
- Honorary Fellow, Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration
- Visiting Professor at Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Member of the 30% Club Hong Kong, an initiative working to bring more women onto Hong Kong corporate boards
- Oversaw the firm's Asia region achieve its 30% target for women partners, and sponsored the launch of its Asia Multicultural Network
Justin joined Herbert Smith Freehills in 1998 and became a partner in 2007.
He has led the firm's Global Disputes practice and its Asia region since 2014 and its US region since 2019.
A native of Edinburgh, Scotland, Justin graduated with a bachelor's degree in law from the University of Aberdeen in 1996.
He is admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong and as a solicitor advocate in England.