Junyeon is a senior associate in Herbert Smith Freehills Tokyo's dispute resolution team. She assists companies in a wide range of matters including providing support in connection with U.S. regulatory and civil litigation matters, internal investigations, and assessment and establishment of compliance programs. She has extensive experience advising on anti-corruption and anti-bribery issues.
Junyeon is admitted to practise in New York and is a registered foreign lawyer in Japan. Junyeon speaks English, Japanese and Korean.
Junyeon's recent experience includes representing the following clients:
- a global technology company in multiple internal investigations of alleged bribery and corruption of employees based in Korea*
- a global entertainment company in an internal investigation of its Japanese subsidiary, in parallel with a criminal investigation by the Special Investigation Unit of the Tokyo Public Prosecutors Office. The criminal investigation was closed without indictment*
- a global investment firm in an internal investigation of misconduct by employees based in Japan*
- LG Energy Solution in a Section 337 investigation involving misappropriation of trade secrets claims related to lithium-ion batteries, resulting in a $1.8 billion settlement for the client*
- Sumitomo Electric Industries in its defence against two multi-district class actions alleging a global bid-rigging and price-fixing conspiracy among suppliers of automotive wire harnesses*
*Experience gained prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Before joining HSF Tokyo, Junyeon worked for two global U.S law firms, being based in Singapore and Tokyo respectively. Prior to attending law school, she served as a foreign service officer at the Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Junyeon earned her Juris Doctor degree from the New York University School of Law. She graduated summa cum laude from Seoul National University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, and completed a one-year exchange program at the College of Arts and Science of the University of Tokyo.