Juliana has over 30 years of experience in conducting complex disputes and has acted for some of Australia’s leading companies in Bet-the-Company litigation.
A trusted Board adviser and experienced client relationship partner, Juliana has particular expertise in crisis management and working with clients in highly regulated industries.
She has been involved in a number of leading cases at trial, on appeal and in the High Court of Australia, and represents clients in litigation, alternative dispute, anti-money laundering and regulatory processes, including in relation to statutory regimes and regulatory frameworks and complex commercial contracts and associated issues (such as misleading and deceptive conduct), as well as and on matters involving foreign and international law.
Juliana’s experience includes:
- Acted for BUPA in the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety
- Acted for Tabcorp in the defence of Australia’s first ever significant anti-money laundering prosecution by AUSTRAC
- Acted for Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ) in proceedings against the ACCC
- Acting for a number of clients in relation to:
- breaches of anti-money laundering legislation
- actual and potential enforcement proceedings
- current statement assessments
- Acting for a major ADI in a damages action against the auditors of a retail chain following its collapse as a result of fraud
- Acting for a major ADI in various regulatory investigations
- Acting for auditors defending claims for $5 billion brought by the State of South Australia arising from the collapse of the State Bank of South Australia
- Acting for Tabcorp in a series of high profile Federal and High Court proceedings involving constitutional, competition and statutory interpretation issues as to the use of technology in wagering
- Defended the State of New South Wales against claims made by Austeel over a failed steel mill project
- Defended ConocoPhillips in proceedings concerning the legality of the Timor Gap Treaty and related petroleum contracts
Juliana holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of New South Wales. She is Councillor of the Law Society of New South Wales and a director of PIAC. She is currently Managing Partner of the Sydney office.
Juliana is regularly listed in Best Lawyers for Bet-the-Company Litigation and is regularly noted in Chambers Global and Legal 500 as a leading practitioner in her fields. She is recognised as a Star Litigator in Australia by Benchmark Litigation 2020