He is qualified in Hong Kong and England, where he is also qualified as a solicitor advocate and an accredited mediator with CEDR (the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution).
Julian has over 20 years dispute resolution experience in England, Hong Kong and elsewhere in all forms of international dispute resolution, particularly in major commercial disputes involving corporate and shareholder disputes, banking and financial matters, cross-border fraud litigation and technology disputes.
Julian is rated as a Leading Individual for Hong Kong Dispute Resolution by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016, and as being "able to address any complex strategic question". He is also named as a key practitioner in Hong Kong for China Dispute Resolution.
He has written and lectured widely on topics such as privilege, asset tracing and civil procedure, and wrote the chapter on civil procedure in The Lawyer’s Factbook (Sweet & Maxwell).
Julian has advised:
- a group of funds in a substantial joint venture dispute with East Asia Satellite Television relating to a casino project in Macau
- The Law Society of England and Wales in its successful intervention in Prudential Plc v Special Commissioner of Income Tax  EWCA 1094 and  UKSC 1 in which the UK Supreme Court has ruled that legal professional privilege should not be extended to cover legal advice given by accountants
- IBM in defending a claim brought by the Transport Department of the Government of Hong Kong in relation to a project to develop an integrated transport information computer system
- BSkyB on its successful £318m claims against EDS for deceit, negligent misrepresentation and breach of contract arising out of the installation of a new customer relationship management system, for which the team won Litigation Team of the Year award at each of The Lawyer Awards 2010, The Legal Week Awards 2010, and the Legal Business Awards 2011
- Far East Landfill Technologies Ltd and two of its directors in defending environmental prosecutions brought by the Environmental Protection Department of the Government of Hong Kong in relation to a landfill operation in Hong Kong
- Generali Deutschland Holdings (AMB Generali) in substantial litigation arising from an arbitration with Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken concerning mis-selling of pensions, including international asset recovery
He is a member of the:
- London Solicitors Litigation Association (of which he was a committee member for some years when he was based in London)
- Solicitors Association of Higher Court Advocates
- Association of Pension Lawyers.
Julian is qualified as a solicitor in Hong Kong and England. He is also a solicitor-advocate in England and accredited as a mediator by CEDR.
He is a member of the London Solicitors Litigation Association (of which he was a committee member for some years when he was based in London), a member of the Solicitors Association of Higher Court Advocates, and a member of the Association of Pension Lawyers.